Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009 | 09:32 AM
megawayne
|
Cruiser
Default Oil Comparison

http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/8820_flyer.pdf

I use Amsoil currently. Anyone try this and how does it compare? I was told by the distributer in my area it was superior to Amsoil and more cost effective. Anyone?

Old 03-24-2009 | 09:35 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Yaaaay, another oil thread I throw everyone out of whack, I use Delvac super 1300 diesel oil in motor and primary and mobile-1 75-90 in the tranny.

Quieted down the dreaded 5th gear whine and valve clatter quite a bit.

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by megawayne
http://www.le-inc.com/products/documents/8820_flyer.pdf

I use Amsoil currently. Anyone try this and how does it compare? I was told by the distributer in my area it was superior to Amsoil and more cost effective. Anyone?
The distributor might not be totally objective in claiming his oil is better than Amsoil, and I doubt if he has any evidence to support this boast. What you're using is fine, so if it is easy to obtain and you are getting it at a reasonable price I think you should continue using it. Same for those using Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Redline, etc. They're all good, as this Monolec oil may also be, although I've never even heard of it let alone seen an objective lab test on it.

There's much too much fretting over the oil issue, when any high-quality synthetic will likely take your bike well over 100k miles without any oil-related problems. I've never seen any independent, objective study that demonstrates any synthetic oil of the proper viscosity will provide a longer engine life than another.

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:34 AM
cbears
Road Warrior

How do you guys make up your minds? My Harley guy told me to use the SE synthetic in both, made sense to me. I'm getting ready to go in for my 1000 mile and was going to use it. From what I read out here, everyone has their opinion and says theirs is the best. What I'd like to know is, is there anything wrong with just going with the SE synthetic in both like my HD guy says?

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:38 AM
kromdom
Road Warrior

not sure which is the ETERNAL debate: dino vs. syn. or .45 ACP vs. 9mm.

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:49 AM
megawayne
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kromdom
not sure which is the ETERNAL debate: dino vs. syn. or .45 ACP vs. 9mm.
Syn Blend and .40 S&W ftw.

Last edited by megawayne; 03-24-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2009 | 10:50 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Huh? What??

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:52 AM
megawayne
|
Cruiser

I am going to Mobil 1 next oil change. I am just sick of the mail order crap, and the "preferred member" stuff. I change my oil early anyways, so I should be fine. My grandfather has 366,000 miles on the super oil from Walmart in a 2.8 S-10, so I should be fine.

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:57 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by megawayne
I am going to Mobil 1 next oil change. I am just sick of the mail order crap, and the "preferred member" stuff. I change my oil early anyways, so I should be fine. My grandfather has 366,000 miles on the super oil from Walmart in a 2.8 S-10, so I should be fine.

I looked at the dealer stuff but unless you have people buying a bunch of oil it aint worth it.. I went with mobil 1 20w50 this time instead of amsoil just because it was easy to get at the local auto parts.. I cant see paying the price and the shipping too..

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:02 AM
wldbill
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbears
How do you guys make up your minds? My Harley guy told me to use the SE synthetic in both, made sense to me. I'm getting ready to go in for my 1000 mile and was going to use it. From what I read out here, everyone has their opinion and says theirs is the best. What I'd like to know is, is there anything wrong with just going with the SE synthetic in both like my HD guy says?
I read the glowing write-up for H-D360 motor oil in the 2009 H-D Accessory Catalog. What more authoritative source could you go to for the oil recommendation for your bike? So that's what I had put in at my 1k service 3 weeks ago. I also find it more convenient while on the road to just stop in at a HD dealer when an oil change is required.

Quick Reply: Oil Comparison