Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:03 AM
megawayne
|
Cruiser

It also has good reviews here as well as the BITOG website. You can do preferred customer for 20 a year, but if I ordered their products for the last 5 yrs, shouldn't I be a preferred customer for free? I'll just stick with Mobil from now on.

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:11 AM
molsen
Road Master

All of the oil out there has it ups and downs when it comes to quality. I do not believe all these test that 1 company puts out. I use a sythenthic. Sorry, but any quality syn is as good as another. I know there are better ones at doing a certian task, but the interval I change it at, does not matter which brand. I use the Syn for handleing heat better.

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:26 AM
malmax
Cruiser

just an FYI...Harley bids out for their "own" oil...do you think they put the highest quality product in their container...or does money and corporate decisions play here...just a thought.

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:29 AM
16X9 Shooter
Cruiser

monolec?

Old 03-24-2009 | 11:45 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

The only way it could better than Amsoil would be if you never had to change it at all.Been using synthetics for over 35 yrs, now with Amsoil no need to look anymore.

Old 03-24-2009 | 12:19 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer

I just switched to Spectro in the Tranny and Primary.
http://www.spectro-oils.com/products...n/hd6speed.asp
http://www.spectro-oils.com/products...dchaincase.asp
Put Mobil 1 V Twin in the Crank because I had some. I believe the HD Syn 3 is not a 100% synthetic but a blend.

Old 03-24-2009 | 12:20 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member

I tried Amsoil and red line, Mobil1 and Harley oil. But that was before I found (ACME) oil. Not only do I not change oil for 1 million miles, It gives my stock engine 200 extra horse power. Also I take a spoonfull before bed and it adds 6 inches in that "special"area. Yea that coyote is on to sumthin!

Old 03-24-2009 | 12:32 PM
cadman311
Club Member

I use a sythenthic oil on a hot traffic day bump to bump I seen dino oil brake down my oil pressure. And dino never come back to life after a good hot ride. I will stay with sythenthic oil.

Old 03-24-2009 | 01:03 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

ant synthetic oils is better than harley syn 3 which is a poor blend i quit using it

after i did my own oil changes and found metal shavings in the motor and primary

i did my homework and choose the best and no more metal shavings-ride safe

Old 03-24-2009 | 03:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by malmax
just an FYI...Harley bids out for their "own" oil...do you think they put the highest quality product in their container...or does money and corporate decisions play here...just a thought.
just because it went to the lowest bidder does not make it a crappy product. it has specs that it has to meet, as long as those specs are met, it doesn't matter by how much over that spec it is, it is still good.

Originally Posted by TRUBRIT
I believe the HD Syn 3 is not a 100% synthetic but a blend.
another misconception, the syn3 is a blend of 3 synthetic base stocks. it is 100% synthetic.

now before anyone gets the wrong idea, i am not a syn3 spokesman. in fact, i don't even use it. but it is a fine oil, and if that is what you are comfortable with, then use it. if you'd rather use something else, thats fine too. the important thing is to change your oil at the recommended intervals, if not sooner.

i do not advocate extended oil change intervals, as some do. my thinking is that no matter what oil you use, it is still gonna get contaminated. and no matter how good your oil is, the level of contamination should be pretty constant. (amsoil is not gonna get contaminated any less faster than syn3). so even though it may not have 'broken down' fully yet, i feel more comfortable getting those contaminants gone. my choice, you make yours.

finally, i add this to all oil threads i see. this is a fully independent oil study done. basically shows that there is no one 'best' oil to use. each has its strengths and weaknesses.

http://home.earthlink.net/~skratches...motorcycle.pdf

Quick Reply: Oil Comparison