Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Working controls for Sony Head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:22 AM
reecard
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working controls for Sony Head unit?

Does anyone make an adapter that you can control a Sony Head Unit with the stock controls on an '09 Electra Glide Standard??

Thanks in advance.
Reecard

Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Biketronics. Their module will allow you to use all the factory controls plus the AVC (automatic volume control) function, which they advertise as a Biketronics exclusive. I've been using a Biketronics unit for about a year now and am 100% satisfied with it.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:02 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Like already mentioned. Biketronics has one of the best ones out there with the AVC. You can find adapters at Hawg-Wired and a few other places, but they do not have AVC...and you may lose ability with some functions like your source selection (going to FM/CD/AUX/etc). I believe the Biketronics kit is about $199 if you get it with the controller...and it comes with the dash adapter so it will close up the gap around your Sony.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:00 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

+3 on the Biketronics interface. The compatible Sony headunits are on their website. Automatic Volume Control (AVC) is unique to Biketronics' interface unit and a handy feature. The interface unit comes with a lifetime guaranty.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:03 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PAC (Pacific Audio Controls) Google them. They make a variety of adapters both IR and Hard wired. I would not suggest going the IR route because sunlight will wash out the signal. If the sony radio will accept a wired remote, then you are all set. They are a fraction of the Biketronics cost and you can buy the radio cheaper as well as several different brands other than what they offer.

What you do is mount the controller in the fairing and tap into the hand control wires and program the unit so it does whatever function you wish. You then run a wire from the controller to the "hard wire" IN on the back of the radio.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
PAC (Pacific Audio Controls) Google them. They make a variety of adapters both IR and Hard wired. I would not suggest going the IR route because sunlight will wash out the signal. If the sony radio will accept a wired remote, then you are all set. They are a fraction of the Biketronics cost and you can buy the radio cheaper as well as several different brands other than what they offer.

What you do is mount the controller in the fairing and tap into the hand control wires and program the unit so it does whatever function you wish. You then run a wire from the controller to the "hard wire" IN on the back of the radio.
hawg wired has a new universal adapter and also one spec, for sony...

i have the pac and if you dont know wht you are doing, it can be a pain, with the diodes and all.. anyhow...just my humble opinion

Old 03-24-2009, 08:21 PM
turbo38sfi
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gtsdesigns
hawg wired has a new universal adapter and also one spec, for sony...

i have the pac and if you dont know wht you are doing, it can be a pain, with the diodes and all.. anyhow...just my humble opinion
That's good to know. I haven't looked at HW in a while now, the last time I checked they were very pricey compared to a PAC unit.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by turbo38sfi
That's good to know. I haven't looked at HW in a while now, the last time I checked they were very pricey compared to a PAC unit.
yes they are still pricey... i just ordered a dash kit (tht i normally make my own), it only costs me a couple of dollars to make one... its just conv. and their product seems well made... i get many friends wanting help with their bikes, i get tired of making this stuff and hawg-wired (at least the dash kit and harnesses), i like the quality and fitment... havent tried the biketronics stuff (i am kind of loyal as far as being a customer, as long as i am treated right). i pay full price for the stuff too, which is hard for me to swallow (cause locally, i bring lots of business to shops, so they give me good deals)... but i dont mind paying the price for something i feel is worth it...

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

I got an email from mike at bikertronics and he told me that the adapters they have will work with several other head units and still have the AVC. Hawg wired doesnt not have that option on their adapters.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Gtsdesigns
Road Master

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
I got an email from mike at bikertronics and he told me that the adapters they have will work with several other head units and still have the AVC. Hawg wired doesnt not have that option on their adapters.
sounds cool...whts the price?

Quick Reply: Working controls for Sony Head unit?