Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let there be light!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 10:52 PM
northgate
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let there be light!

I'm gonna go with the H4ST in my 08 FLHR. Can't see beans at night. Any sugge$tion$ for the passing lamps? Don't want them to look yellow. I heard they had a replaceable bulb but they sure don't look like it. Anybody tried this combination?

08 FLHR
Blood Brothers MC

Old 03-24-2009, 12:27 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You might want to ck this thread out, where it seemed a lot of people here first got wind of doing the silverstars in all three lights.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-upgrade.html

I'm not sure what you have on an 08 as far as passing lamps. My '03 stock had the glass lens w/ the ridges in it, and the passing lamps were sealed beam, not removable. The headlight had a small crack in it, so I upgraded to the newer (like maybe 2006 ish or newer) smooth clear lens in the headlight and the passing lamps, so now I have removable bulbs, and can do the upgrade talked about in this thread, but haven't done it yet, but am planning on trying it.

If you look on the last page of this thread, you'll also see that I researched the H4ST w/ Sylvania to discover the new ULTRA is allegedly brighter and longer lasting than the H4ST, even in a motorcycle, has the same thicker filament, details on page post 117 https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4494556-post117.html

I didn't think to ask whether the Ultra was available in the 880's for the passing lamps, but guess you could shop around. May find better pricing online than in local store, YMMV

Let us know how it turns out if you try it. Also, FWIW, my theory on some lights lasting longer in the headlamp, I've seen many reports that those running a modulator (for safety/visibility during day time), which fluctuates power bright/dim to the headlight, actually get longer life out of their high performance bulbs, theoretically because they run cooler overall, but just speculation on my part about the stuff I've read.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:12 AM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by karz10
You might want to ck this thread out, where it seemed a lot of people here first got wind of doing the silverstars in all three lights.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-upgrade.html

I'm not sure what you have on an 08 as far as passing lamps. My '03 stock had the glass lens w/ the ridges in it, and the passing lamps were sealed beam, not removable. The headlight had a small crack in it, so I upgraded to the newer (like maybe 2006 ish or newer) smooth clear lens in the headlight and the passing lamps, so now I have removable bulbs, and can do the upgrade talked about in this thread, but haven't done it yet, but am planning on trying it.

If you look on the last page of this thread, you'll also see that I researched the H4ST w/ Sylvania to discover the new ULTRA is allegedly brighter and longer lasting than the H4ST, even in a motorcycle, has the same thicker filament, details on page post 117 https://www.hdforums.com/forum/4494556-post117.html

I didn't think to ask whether the Ultra was available in the 880's for the passing lamps, but guess you could shop around. May find better pricing online than in local store, YMMV

Let us know how it turns out if you try it. Also, FWIW, my theory on some lights lasting longer in the headlamp, I've seen many reports that those running a modulator (for safety/visibility during day time), which fluctuates power bright/dim to the headlight, actually get longer life out of their high performance bulbs, theoretically because they run cooler overall, but just speculation on my part about the stuff I've read.
PM sent

Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHGO5OH
PM sent
Hey, I replied, but make sure you read both, or at least the last response. I got confused and didn't realize you said 09 at first, so you need to read both/last post, k?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:49 AM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by karz10
Hey, I replied, but make sure you read both, or at least the last response. I got confused and didn't realize you said 09 at first, so you need to read both/last post, k?
Thanks. I read both

Old 03-24-2009, 10:52 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Just wanted to chime in that I am very pleased with the stock (YES, I said factory stock) headlight illumination on my twin bulbed, shark nosed, FLTR Road Glide! Best road illumination I have ever had on any bike I have owned. HD did a nice job with this.