Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay to start 09 EG classic in neutral w/o clutch pulled in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 06:50 PM
ConradM
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay to start 09 EG classic in neutral w/o clutch pulled in?

Hi All! I have been starting my EG classic by turining on the ignition, letting it sit until all the pumps and stuff stop, and then hitting the start button while the bike is in neutral but I do not have the clutch pulled in. It always seems to lurch a little when I start it this way. Is it okay to start the bike in neutral without the clutch held in. Could I have caused any wear and tear on the clutch/starter. Any thoughts?

ADD'L INFO: The bike also makes a loud "clunk" at the same time!

Thanks
Conrad

Last edited by ConradM; 03-24-2009 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Add Information
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Nope, that's the way I've always done it.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it is lurching forward when you start it I think that would mean the clutch needs to be adjusted. Unless I'm on a hill I always leave it in neutral and check before I hit the starter.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

I hope this is ok, it's how I always do it too. In fact, if it's in gear it won't even turn over, right??? I've never actually tried it.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:20 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

I don't trust interlocks or indicator lights so I would recommend holding in the clutch when you start the bike then easing the clutch out to be SURE it ain't in gear. You'll think this might be tedious until the first time you hit the starter and it takes off on you.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:24 PM
DaltonHD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BCguy
I don't trust interlocks or indicator lights so I would recommend holding in the clutch when you start the bike then easing the clutch out to be SURE it ain't in gear. You'll think this might be tedious until the first time you hit the starter and it takes off on you.
Absolutely! Heck, my old 77 Kawasaki had the neutral safety..I don't understand why this was never a universal safety device.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Morrisk64
Advanced

I start mine all the time in nuetral without touching the clutch with no problem. And no, the 09 will not turn over while in gear without the clutch pulled in.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:28 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BCguy
Good point! Guess I should re-evaluate my starting procedures. Heck, most of the time I'm not even on the bike when I start it, I normally start her up while I'm still standing to the side putting my helmet/gloves/etc on. Probably pretty stupid.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:35 PM
MarkThomas
Cruiser

Have never pulled in the clutch on any bike I have owned while starting it. If it is lurching on you, you definitely need your clutch adjusted.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:16 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I start my 09 Ultra in nuetral while I'm putting on my gear. It has a little "lurch" but I think it's just settling on the kickstand a little because of torque and vibration. If it's in nuetral it shouldn't matter if the clutch is engaged or not-there is no power being transmitted to the rear wheel.

Just my thoughts. I could be completely wrong.

Quick Reply: Okay to start 09 EG classic in neutral w/o clutch pulled in?