Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay to start 09 EG classic in neutral w/o clutch pulled in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:41 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I always pull in the clutch - just from habit. However, it should not be a problem at all. If the bike is lurching, I would check the primary fluid level and then adjust the clutch.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:44 AM
ConradM
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why would clutch be engaged in neutral?

If the bike is in neutral, why would the clutch have any reason the be engaged? How could the clutch be involved in this minor "jump" when starting in neutral?

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 AM
rkride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would never dream of just hitting the starter without the clutch engaged. If one attends the MSF course it is drilled into to not trust indicator lights and allways engage the clutch. But do as you wish and you will probably be okay 99 out of 100 times. But it would only take the one time when your prize possesion lurches and takes a dive towards the pavement. Pulling in the clutch is just a small price to pay for ensuring your bike stays nice and shiny

Old 03-24-2009, 09:07 AM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine sure goes easy into 1st from neutral, if I start it with the clutch pulled in.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:11 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cbears
I hope this is ok, it's how I always do it too. In fact, if it's in gear it won't even turn over, right??? I've never actually tried it.
There is an interlock (safety) which prevents the bike from activating the starter when the bike is in any gear. Try it for yourself...the bike will not start. You can start in neutral (clutch in/out) or in gear (clutch in). That's it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:15 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rkride
I would never dream of just hitting the starter without the clutch engaged. If one attends the MSF course it is drilled into to not trust indicator lights and allways engage the clutch. But do as you wish and you will probably be okay 99 out of 100 times. But it would only take the one time when your prize possesion lurches and takes a dive towards the pavement. Pulling in the clutch is just a small price to pay for ensuring your bike stays nice and shiny
Since your bike is an '08, it won't start when it's in gear with the clutch out. Meaning it can't lurch forward because of an interlock. So even of the neutral light failed and the bike was in 1st gear, the starter wouldn't even fire. Tried and confirmed it for myself on my '08. Still you make a very good point. We should all try to follow good habits.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I always put it in neutral, but pull the clutch just in case ...
It prob wouldn't even start in gear without the clutch engaged, but it would be that 1 time when I didn't that the bike would lurch forward. Dont want that to happen. Need no help whatsoever looking stupid, I can do that all by myself.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

A slight lurch could happen just from the oil between the plates causing a tiny amount of friction after sitting a while. Pulling the clutch in when starting is just a good habit.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:25 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
There is an interlock (safety) which prevents the bike from activating the starter when the bike is in any gear. Try it for yourself...the bike will not start. You can start in neutral (clutch in/out) or in gear (clutch in). That's it.
Ever had one of those interlocks fail?

I have.

I sit on the bike, pull the clutch in, and have it in neutral when starting.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:27 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Im pretty sure I have read somewhere that a cold started bike WILL lurch just a little bit in neutral when starting without the clutch pulled. I also know every HD I've had does it on a cold start.

So I would NOT run out and start adjusting your clutch.

Quick Reply: Okay to start 09 EG classic in neutral w/o clutch pulled in?