Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?

I love my RK chrome high bars, but I want to do some apes on my 08 RKC w/ABS. How many have done it and whose products did you use? Bars, extended brake line, etc.

I'm 5-7 and am thinking 12-14's, is that about right?

By now I'm sure it's been done many times, and I want to know how the process went. I plan on doing all the wrenching and then taking it to the shop to have it bled correctly with the Digital Tech.

Did your Indy have the ability or did you have to go to a HD dealer to have them bled correctly?

Old 03-23-2009, 05:35 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I know someone has done it....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Bump since there are lots of people on here now

Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
fairplay
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't know about the abs crap but I tried 10's 12's and was not happy till I got the 18's (on my RK). I am 5'-10" and my arms were perfectly level with good posture. I was fully legal and it did wonders for my back.
as for the ABS deal, I never thought about it but I gues I should since I just ordered a set of monkey bars for my '09 w/ ABS.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:05 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by fairplay
don't know about the abs crap but I tried 10's 12's and was not happy till I got the 18's (on my RK). I am 5'-10" and my arms were perfectly level with good posture. I was fully legal and it did wonders for my back.
as for the ABS deal, I never thought about it but I gues I should since I just ordered a set of monkey bars for my '09 w/ ABS.
I've heard many different stories. I recieved a PM from someone who says they did the bar/cable swap and bled it themselves with no probs. The bikes do have an ABS light on the dash if something is not right. I'm thinking I'm going to do the swap and ride to my local shop and have do the Digital Tech on it to make sure.

The TBW is no biggie, just needs longer wires.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I contacted the service department at my dealer. I was told that if all I was doing was swapping out the front line, that I "should not need to have a digital tech service performed." Further, the 2008 service manual states on page 1-30:

"After bleeding the brake system on ABS equipped motor-cycles, confirm that the brake lines are properly connected if either the ABS module or more than one brake line was removed. To accomplish this, install master cylinder reservoir cover, connect motorcycle to DIGITAL TECHNICIAN ll and perform "ABS Service" procedure in the "Toolbox" menu."

Key words being "if" and "or". Based on that and what the service dept. told me at my dealer, I'm am doing it myself to see what happens. I am half-way done with the handle bar swap. I will be back home to finish the job Wednesday. I went with the brands supplied by Johnny at johnnyvaughn.com. Clutch cable is barnett, brake line rev-tech, and he sells color matched extentions for the harness.

My plan is to bleed the line as best as I can between the front master cylinder and the ABS module, then bleed at the front caliper. I think I can get most of the air out of the line between the mc and the module just by taking it slow. Filling the mc and cracking the line at the module. The module is very accessible, and the fluid can be contained with a shop towel if done slowly enough.

I'll post Wednesday evening (if the creek don't rise) and let you know how it comes out and if there are any problems with the ABS brakes. Wish me luck.

Last edited by drive2live2ride; 03-23-2009 at 09:36 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

I think that cudski just did 13" Cyclesmiths with ABS, maybe you could give him a PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:54 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
I contacted the service department at my dealer. I was told that if all I was doing was swapping out the front line, that I "should not need to have a digital tech service performed." Further, the 2008 service manual states on page 1-30:

"After bleeding the brake system on ABS equipped motor-cycles, confirm that the brake lines are properly connected if either the ABS module or more than one brake line was removed. To accomplish this, install master cylinder reservoir cover, connect motorcycle to DIGITAL TECHNICIAN ll and perform "ABS Service" procedure in the "Toolbox" menu."

Key words being "if" and "or". Based on that and what the service dept. told me at my dealer, I'm am doing it myself to see what happens. I am half-way done with the handle bar swap. I will be back home to finish the job Wednesday. I went with the brands supplied by Johnny at johnnyvaughn.com. Clutch cable is barnett, brake line rev-tech, and he sells color matched extentions for the harness.

My plan is to bleed the line as best as I can between the front master cylinder and the ABS module, then bleed at the front caliper. I think I can get most of the air out of the line between the mc and the module just by taking it slow. Filling the mc and cracking the line at the module. The module is very accessible, and the fluid can be contained with a shop towel if done slowly enough.

I'll post Wednesday evening (if the creek don't rise) and let you know how it comes out and if there are any problems with the ABS brakes. Wish me luck.
What size apes did you go with, and how long a cable did you end up extending to? What did Johnny charge for the longer brake line? I'm definitely looking to do this now; from what I've read and heard.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:19 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by JonnyD
What size apes did you go with, and how long a cable did you end up extending to? What did Johnny charge for the longer brake line? I'm definitely looking to do this now; from what I've read and heard.
I have a sg and didn't want the bars higher than the fairing, so I went with wild one chubby's 12.5 Bagger Apes. Don't have the price break-down with me, but the prices are on his site. I sent him an email and told him what bars I wanted and asked him to hook me up with everything else I needed. He promptly returned my email with the suggested parts list and links to the corresponding pages on his site. I have called him with a couple questions along the way and he has been very responsive and helpful. I'm not up and running yet, but from how it looks so far I think he did a good job with his recommendations. I'll let you know for sure in a couple days.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:59 AM
Old Bones
Road Master

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
I have a sg and didn't want the bars higher than the fairing, so I went with wild one chubby's 12.5 Bagger Apes. Don't have the price break-down with me, but the prices are on his site. I sent him an email and told him what bars I wanted and asked him to hook me up with everything else I needed. He promptly returned my email with the suggested parts list and links to the corresponding pages on his site. I have called him with a couple questions along the way and he has been very responsive and helpful. I'm not up and running yet, but from how it looks so far I think he did a good job with his recommendations. I'll let you know for sure in a couple days.

You might want to rethink the 12.5" bars , they will be above the fairing. 13' in sig picture.

V

V

V

Quick Reply: APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?