Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:32 AM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Bones
You might want to rethink the 12.5" bars , they will be above the fairing. 13' in sig picture.
Rephrasing....Don't want them much higher than the fairing. Nice looking bike you got there. Looks very familiar and will look very, very familiar when I get mine put back together tomorrow.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:13 PM
Old Bones
Road Master

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
Rephrasing....Don't want them much higher than the fairing. Nice looking bike you got there. Looks very familiar and will look very, very familiar when I get mine put back together tomorrow.
Thanks, and good luck, the bars are well worth having.

Old 03-26-2009, 10:06 AM
dafoot2
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Bones
You might want to rethink the 12.5" bars , they will be above the fairing. 13' in sig picture.

V

V

V

I see you stuck with the fairing mirrors. Im looking for taller bars and want to keep the fairing mirrors. Hows the line of sight with them?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:38 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

As long as you dont mind looking under your arms you will be fine. I might change it when I remove the inner fairing.

Attached Thumbnails APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?-th_img_0360.jpg   APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?-th_img_0357.jpg  
Old 03-26-2009, 08:48 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by JonnyD
I love my RK chrome high bars, but I want to do some apes on my 08 RKC w/ABS. How many have done it and whose products did you use? Bars, extended brake line, etc.

I'm 5-7 and am thinking 12-14's, is that about right?

By now I'm sure it's been done many times, and I want to know how the process went. I plan on doing all the wrenching and then taking it to the shop to have it bled correctly with the Digital Tech.

Did your Indy have the ability or did you have to go to a HD dealer to have them bled correctly?
Well I'm a day behind schedule, but I completed the handle bar install today. I had no problems bleeding the ABS brakes. As I had planned, I bled the new front line at the ABS module first. I was quite easy to get the air out of the line this way. I just finger tightened the banjo fitting to the ABS module and slowly bled the line using my fingers to loosen and tighten the bolt until I had all the air out. I used a shop towel to catch the fluid and didn't spill a drop. I then bled the front calipers using a clear tube to see if and air came out of the line, and none did. By getting the air out of the line between the mc and the module, I think everything will be fine.

Unfortunately, there is severe weather here in Arkansas this evening and I was unable to take it for a test ride. I did start it and actuate the brakes and it did not throw a code yet. I'm out of town for six days, but when I get back I will be checking it further to see if any problems arise with the ABS. I'll let you know then. Here is a pic of the finished install. Man they feel good just sitting on it, I can't wait to ride it!

Attached Thumbnails APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?-new-bars.jpg  
Old 04-01-2009, 10:06 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter
Default verdict:

I finally got to ride my bike for several hours today. I love my new bars! No issues with the ABS after replacing the front brake line and bleeding the system as I mentioned in the earlier post in this thread. I used the brakes normally and got on them hard enough to activate the ABS without any problems at all. So, you can replace the front brake line without a digital technician servicing. The $80 I saved on the service went towards new mirrors, so they still got the money, but at least it went towards something I can bolt on and keep!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:30 AM
FFZHD
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default cable lengths

I may of missed your reply, but can I ask what legth cables you went with on your SG? Thanks

Old 04-02-2009, 12:54 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

I'll see if it says on the invoice, but I just told Johnny what bike I had and what bars I wanted and he referred my to the appropriate cable kit. I didn't even ask what the size of the cables were. I just trusted him, and it worked out. Now days that can be risky I know, but he seemed like he had a pretty good rep. I will try to find out for you though, as the clutch cable and brake line he sold me were perfect lengths for my application. Give me a day or so to dig up the paperwork. Later....

Old 04-07-2009, 01:35 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
Well I'm a day behind schedule, but I completed the handle bar install today. I had no problems bleeding the ABS brakes. As I had planned, I bled the new front line at the ABS module first. I was quite easy to get the air out of the line this way. I just finger tightened the banjo fitting to the ABS module and slowly bled the line using my fingers to loosen and tighten the bolt until I had all the air out. I used a shop towel to catch the fluid and didn't spill a drop. I then bled the front calipers using a clear tube to see if and air came out of the line, and none did. By getting the air out of the line between the mc and the module, I think everything will be fine.

Unfortunately, there is severe weather here in Arkansas this evening and I was unable to take it for a test ride. I did start it and actuate the brakes and it did not throw a code yet. I'm out of town for six days, but when I get back I will be checking it further to see if any problems arise with the ABS. I'll let you know then. Here is a pic of the finished install. Man they feel good just sitting on it, I can't wait to ride it!

looks good, might be a stupid question but did you already have the grips or did you order them for the bars? I have the same ones and was wondering how hard it was to reuse them.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:19 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Originally Posted by Mike5959
looks good, might be a stupid question but did you already have the grips or did you order them for the bars? I have the same ones and was wondering how hard it was to reuse them.
Thanks. I actually purchased the grips (performance machine) used from a member on this forum. Said he had them on his bike for 200 miles I think. Anyway, they come on and off with no problems at all.

Quick Reply: APES W/ABS, whose dunnit?