Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:07 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Thats a beautiful bike you have there. Really like that color. Thats the same as I'm looking for.

The CVO I rode had some mini-shield deal, my observations were the same - terrible protection. Looks cool though!

I was really impressed with the clearview. I bet the larger Klockwerks is just as good, maybe better...

lp
Thanks! It's looks 10 times better in the sun...WOW!

My buddy yanked the mini crap screen off his SERG and put on the KW 8" and loves it. He said it's a consistent wind that's bareable as opposed to the head rocking from the mini crap sreen.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsurf
Buffeting....is that all you can eat?

I spent the entire weekend on my new 09 RG. 375 miles of lots of differant highways...I will tell you this, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE SERG WIND SCREEN...it's ALL for looks at 30 mph! The screaming in my ears has finally subsided. Dear God, it was horrible at 80+ mph.

Needless to say, YES, mods to the windshield are needed. I am 6'2" and MUST invest in either KlockWorks or CeeBailey windshield.

This was my 1st weekend of riding my new RG and couldn't be happier with the overal handling of this beautiful machine!

Ride safe!
I'am the same height as you and had the 15" cee baileys which wasn't quite tall enough. I now have the 16" version which works extremely well. Having lowers on a rg makes a huge difference as well in smoothing out the air.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:13 PM
shredsurf
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rideon
I'am the same height as you and had the 15" cee baileys which wasn't quite tall enough. I now have the 16" version which works extremely well. Having lowers on a rg makes a huge difference as well in smoothing out the air.
PICS!!! Is the 16" CB as ugly as the stock shield or is it more subtle?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:32 PM
rideon
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsurf
PICS!!! Is the 16" CB as ugly as the stock shield or is it more subtle?
Nope looks sexy as heck. The 15" that i originally bought is now on my buddys bike. With our two bikes sitting side by side you can hardly tell the difference until you sit on them. I have had stock, 8' and 12" clokwerks and a +2" clearview. This 16" cee baileys is the cats ****, looks and good protection. If you don't have lowers on your bike I highly recomend them. Took my lowers off for 10 minutes last summer, could'nt stand riding it the buffeting was insane!

Old 03-24-2009, 11:32 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 513 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
I do have the intercom. I went all HD. A little expensive but it works with all of the factory controles. This was a write up I done after the conversion parts and prices. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...arts-list.html I also installed the factory cb. Everything was plug and play and I have had no problems. It is exactly like the Ultra setup. Thanks,
I hope this helps. I do love the bike after getting everything in place. I was used to the fixed fairing from all of my other previous sport touring bikes.
I really like your Ultra RoadGlide!!! You should send a picture of it (every day) to the MoCo.
Maybe they'll get the idea !!!

Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
I do have the intercom. I went all HD. A little expensive but it works with all of the factory controles. This was a write up I done after the conversion parts and prices. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...arts-list.html I also installed the factory cb. Everything was plug and play and I have had no problems. It is exactly like the Ultra setup. Thanks,
I hope this helps. I do love the bike after getting everything in place. I was used to the fixed fairing from all of my other previous sport touring bikes.
Thanks draft1. The only other thing I'd add if I get one is put the front fender chrome trim on. Yours is one of the nicer RG's I've seen. Factory speakers,lowers,tourpac, and CB and intercom.........nice!

Old 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
Thanks draft1. The only other thing I'd add if I get one is put the front fender chrome trim on. Yours is one of the nicer RG's I've seen. Factory speakers,lowers,tourpac, and CB and intercom.........nice!
Thanks,
As a matter of fact, I noticed the old plane front fender to. I added some trim up front. This is a recent picture with the wife on the Mississippi River.
I don't know why the MoCo will not build this bike. It's not like it they don't have the parts or resources. It just doesn't seem like that big of deal to do the Ultra conversion. My 2 cents. Thanks for the coments.

Attached Thumbnails Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?-p1300018-large-.jpg  
Old 10-12-2009, 07:32 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by OG1
with the fullsize stock shield, yes i think its a non issue. im 6'2 and i would have to stand up on the floorboards to get my face in the wind with the stock shield. the problem is, they dont look as sexy as a shorter one, and we all know how looks tend to trump function on our bikes.
We all shop and buy with our "eyes". Motorcycles, windshields, fairings, a good steak and yes, women, all come to mind here. Men seem to be more visually stimulated than women.
It is only after we get them home and the new starts to wear off that we then pay more attention to what we have gotten ourselves into. Another one of Gods little tricks. Manufacturers tend to grasp this "shop with our eyes" concept early on. City women learn it early in life too. All of this seem to be to the detriment of mankind in general and beneficial to the women of the world.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Gizmo83
Road Master
Received 567 Likes on 310 Posts

I'm 5'10". I tried the 11.5" (small) Clearview on mine. Not only did I not care for the look, but it gave me some awful buffeting at even just 60 mph. The tiny stock shield worked better for me than that one. I'm sure the larger Clearviews work great, but I don't like the look.

Next shield I tried was the 15" Cee Bailey's Euro. I love it. Works great, looks great, fits well. I'm happy.

One thing many people don't seem to take into consideration when comparing stock UC to stock RG is the lowers on the Ultra.