Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:46 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i too have no buffeting problems and i have no lowers also i did buy a clear veiw windshield maybe thats why ?? ride safe

Old 03-24-2009, 05:26 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BCguy
Buffetting eh? You bet! I got hammered so bad with the stock shield it was almost unbearable - sharp, hard, staccato head shaking. Made my eyes blur and rattled my teeth. Tried trimming the stocker (I'm 5'6" so was looking through the stock height shield) and it still hurt. Went to the 6" HD shield and it was actually better as I now had my head in 'clean' non-turbulent air. With a full face helmet I could live with this but figured I'd try a custom type shield so have Cee Bailey's SSC on the way.

This is really the ONLY complaint I have had with my RG. If you've never experienced the problem, then good for you. For those who have, you know what we're talking about. If I can get this issue resolved completely then I'll be a happy camper.
Don't tell me you bought your bike at Bellingham H-D, I know they only sell the non-buffeting variety. Are you sure you're in BC, you're not using the metrics for your height. Maybe it's not a problem with the 09s. I'm 5' 7" and see over the stock shield with no trouble except for the distortion in the top two inches ( 5cm ).

Old 03-24-2009, 05:40 PM
BCguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by wldbill
Don't tell me you bought your bike at Bellingham H-D, I know they only sell the non-buffeting variety. Are you sure you're in BC, you're not using the metrics for your height. Maybe it's not a problem with the 09s. I'm 5' 7" and see over the stock shield with no trouble except for the distortion in the top two inches ( 5cm ).
Nope, bought the bike at Steve Drane in Victoria and it was definetely of the buffeting type. Yes I'm sure I'm in BC - us old farts never took much to the stupid metric measurements that was forced on us by one of our Liberal governments. I still think in feet and inches.

Anyway, maybe there is something different with the '09's but I can't see what. Maybe they sit you higher in the seat because I found I was looking through the top inch or so of the stock shield unless I sat up very straight in the saddle and it was really annoying.

I'm really hoping the new Cee Bailey's shield will work out for me.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

'02 RG, couple different seats, 3 different windshields, no buffeting with any combination...

Old 03-24-2009, 07:03 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes I'm sure I'm in BC - us old farts never took much to the stupid metric measurements that was forced on us by one of our Liberal governments. I still think in feet and inches.

Oh my, BCguy, when I ride over the border it looks like you folks were born with it. I recall our teachers telling us the great advantage of metric when I was a kid but we must of had enough folks that didn't buy into that idea.
I think the seating on the 09 is different from earlier models do to the newly designed frame. I definitely sat down on my 01 and sit up on the 09. It's different but still a great ride and handler. I'll be sawing off the top 2" or so from my stock shield because that area has been formed with a curve that causes distortion of oncoming traffic,etc. that I cant live with even though I'm looking inches over the top.
Hey, maybe I'll get some buffeting. Really hope not!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:19 PM
springerchop
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I notice a difference in the wind resistance when I wear different style helmets only. Scorpion exo gives me the most head movement on my RG. No helmet- no prob lem at all. Personal opinion.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:40 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Every stock RG that I've ever rode has "unwanted air bursts delivered in unequal amounts in non specific frequency hitting about my neck, face, chest, and head". If that is buffeting. Yeah, I've experianced it. It's even worse for my passenger (which varies, but are all of the woman variety - i swear).

That said.. A buddy of mine has a clearview on his and that setup on a RG may be my next bike. Rides great with no problems. Although I own two batwing bikes now, I too want to step up to HD's finest road machine made. It's the closest you can get to a Goldwing but still retain some level of class... hee hee. No kiddin.

lp

Last edited by lp; 03-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

I rode and rented both before buying my 09 UC and while i did like the look of the RG, i felt that the buffeting was more than the UC and even with putting a 6.5 inch windshield on my UC, it is still a much more comfortable ride. But its like the old say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." Thats the best part about riding, finding out what fits you a riding the chit out of it.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:51 PM
shredsurf
Road Master

Buffeting....is that all you can eat?

I spent the entire weekend on my new 09 RG. 375 miles of lots of differant highways...I will tell you this, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE SERG WIND SCREEN...it's ALL for looks at 30 mph! The screaming in my ears has finally subsided. Dear God, it was horrible at 80+ mph.

Needless to say, YES, mods to the windshield are needed. I am 6'2" and MUST invest in either KlockWorks or CeeBailey windshield.

This was my 1st weekend of riding my new RG and couldn't be happier with the overal handling of this beautiful machine!

Ride safe!

Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by shredsurf
Buffeting....is that all you can eat?

I spent the entire weekend on my new 09 RG. 375 miles of lots of differant highways...I will tell you this, DON'T BOTHER WITH THE SERG WIND SCREEN...it's ALL for looks at 30 mph! The screaming in my ears has finally subsided. Dear God, it was horrible at 80+ mph.

Needless to say, YES, mods to the windshield are needed. I am 6'2" and MUST invest in either KlockWorks or CeeBailey windshield.

This was my 1st weekend of riding my new RG and couldn't be happier with the overal handling of this beautiful machine!

Ride safe!
Thats a beautiful bike you have there. Really like that color. Thats the same as I'm looking for.

The CVO I rode had some mini-shield deal, my observations were the same - terrible protection. Looks cool though!

I was really impressed with the clearview. I bet the larger Klockwerks is just as good, maybe better...

lp

Quick Reply: Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?