Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by monkyman
And why does it bug you if you don't have the problem?? Be happy that you don't.
Well, it's just that since it hasn't been a problem for me with two RGs now, and haven't met anyone for who it has. I just got a tad tired of reading this sort of complaint about HDs finest road machine.

Last edited by wldbill; 03-23-2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

buffeting to me is fast pulsing pressure on my head and eyes, making it difficult to see. i get it pretty bad on my RG with the 5" shield over 60mph, but not until like 80mph with a 10" shield. i wear open faced helmets though, makes a huge difference. with a full face and sealed shield, i had no issues at 100mph on my supermoto which has 0 wind protection.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:03 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only "buffetting" I get w/ my RG is all you can eat Chinese on the way home from Amarillo "You go home now, you eat everyting"

Old 03-23-2009, 10:35 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What buffeting?

Attached Thumbnails Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?-road-glide.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:56 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wldbill
Well, it's just that since it hasn't been a problem for me with two RGs now, and haven't met anyone for who it has. I just got a tad tired of reading this sort of complaint about HDs finest road machine.
with the fullsize stock shield, yes i think its a non issue. im 6'2 and i would have to stand up on the floorboards to get my face in the wind with the stock shield. the problem is, they dont look as sexy as a shorter one, and we all know how looks tend to trump function on our bikes.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:04 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
Wldbill,
A lot has to do with ones height, how he sets in the seat, what kind of seat he has, what kind of helmet he wears, with or without lowers, what kind of handlebars, etc. I for one experienced buffeting that was so annoying that I considered selling my RG. I have since changed to a 1" taller clearview windshield and put lowers on mine. This made it much better and tollerable.

If I was gonna switch to a road glide it would be set up like yours. Do you have the intercom system and if you do by who?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
If I was gonna switch to a road glide it would be set up like yours. Do you have the intercom system and if you do by who?
I do have the intercom. I went all HD. A little expensive but it works with all of the factory controles. This was a write up I done after the conversion parts and prices. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...arts-list.html I also installed the factory cb. Everything was plug and play and I have had no problems. It is exactly like the Ultra setup. Thanks,
I hope this helps. I do love the bike after getting everything in place. I was used to the fixed fairing from all of my other previous sport touring bikes.

Last edited by DRAFT1; 03-24-2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:22 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gunner11
You must have ordered the "no Buffeting RG"
That's what I did!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
mslater741
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah...it kills me all the bad press the road glides get from some guy that takes a 20 minute demo ride, or a owner that dosent pursue the needed changes to make it work for them but think nothing of doing a stage 1...unless your 5'10'' tall and have arms like a monkey you need to do some mods.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:34 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buffetting eh? You bet! I got hammered so bad with the stock shield it was almost unbearable - sharp, hard, staccato head shaking. Made my eyes blur and rattled my teeth. Tried trimming the stocker (I'm 5'6" so was looking through the stock height shield) and it still hurt. Went to the 6" HD shield and it was actually better as I now had my head in 'clean' non-turbulent air. With a full face helmet I could live with this but figured I'd try a custom type shield so have Cee Bailey's SSC on the way.

This is really the ONLY complaint I have had with my RG. If you've never experienced the problem, then good for you. For those who have, you know what we're talking about. If I can get this issue resolved completely then I'll be a happy camper.

Last edited by BCguy; 03-24-2009 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultra vs Roadglide buffeting, What are you talking about?