Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

32 MPG How can this be??? 07 EGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Mohntonite
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 32 MPG How can this be??? 07 EGS

I own a 2007 EG Standard, has tour pack, Rienhardt True Duals and a SERT. I bought it used with 4600 miles in september. now at about 6000 miles. I checked the fuel to mileage ratio and was astonished. What could they have done to the setup when adding the SERT? Could it be set up for speed over milage or is that not possible. I dont do alot of long distance riding as it is winter and all. Could it be that its just my 30 miles a day that its not getting better? Im thinking I need to get it to the dyno and readjusted.

Your thoughts please. Thanx in advance.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:53 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there done that, mine was from a bad Dyno Tune. Took it to someone else and did a re-dyno tune and I was back to 40 to 42 in mpg.

Bob

Old 03-23-2009, 10:48 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohntonite
I own a 2007 EG Standard, has tour pack, Rienhardt True Duals and a SERT. I bought it used with 4600 miles in september. now at about 6000 miles. I checked the fuel to mileage ratio and was astonished. What could they have done to the setup when adding the SERT? Could it be set up for speed over milage or is that not possible. I dont do alot of long distance riding as it is winter and all. Could it be that its just my 30 miles a day that its not getting better? Im thinking I need to get it to the dyno and readjusted.
As with any advanced tuning device it's all in the tuning. Take it to a competent tuner and have the cruise-range AFR's set to around 14.5:1. This will get your mileage in line as long as you keep your wrist in control. You want to keep any throttle-position setting above about 50% to remain tuned for performance, as you're probably not in that range most of the time and you want the performance when needed. But for a majority of your riding there's no reason why you can't tune leaner to get better mileage.

Heat is a side-effect of a leaner mixture and detonation can follow from that. I would install an oil cooler if you don't already have one to get better control of engine temperatures. If engine heat is a problem after that you may need to richen the AFR's gradually until you're happy, but there's a good compromise somewhere in there for you.

I have an '07 SG with a PCV-AT, and get in the upper 40's when riding the backroads, up to 50mpg before I changed cams two weeks ago. I may have taken a minor hit in mileage with this upgrade, but not much, as yesterday I got 47mpg on one fill-up with no stop-and-go and half of which was at 65-70mph, the other half slower, 45mpg on the second that included some very heavy traffic but was otherwise ~60mph. City riding isn't as good, usually 36-40mpg. There isn't any reason why you can't do as well as I do with a good tune.

I would learn to tune SERT yourself and concentrate only on tweaking the cruise range. If you're happy with the WOT performance of the bike I would not fool with that, but you could experiment with the cruise-range settings yourself by loading the SERT software on your computer. You'll also need the necessary cables which you may need to buy if you don't already have them.

Last edited by iclick; 03-23-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:54 AM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

32mpg is about normal for me around town and back and forth to work.

On my daily commute the bike never really warms up in the cooler months.

But out on the road after it warms up my mileage gets considerably better as long as I stay out of the throttle.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyWood
32mpg is about normal for me around town and back and forth to work.

On my daily commute the bike never really warms up in the cooler months.

But out on the road after it warms up my mileage gets considerably better as long as I stay out of the throttle.
I think a warm engine is the key, as I've tried everything to improve in-town mileage but without much success. It seems the warm-up cycle is the biggest problem, and when you're riding in the city there will usually be more of these cold-to-warm and back to cold cycles. The HD warm-up mode lasts only about 45 sec. according to Dynojet, and I have my PCV-AT to engage AT mode after 20 sec. or the engine attains 160° (front head temp.), and this happens usually within one mile. I should therefore be running lean AFR's very soon after starting, but the bike still gets relatively lousy mileage around town (36-40mpg). I think cold oil plays a part and it takes a long time for my oil temp. to reach a normal level (180° or higher).

The cam change didn't seem to make much difference, but time will tell.

Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Your thoughts please. Thanx in advance.
I just got mine Dyno Tuned and I getting 28 mpg. Called the tuner it's going back. 06 SG SERT Bub 7 Duals SE Heavy Breather. My buddy has a 06 SG and he has more tq and hp and still gets better mpg then me by about 40 to 50 miles more on a tank. I need my Carb back

Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Mohntonite
Cruiser

Originally Posted by iclick
I would learn to tune SERT yourself and concentrate only on tweaking the cruise range. If you're happy with the WOT performance of the bike I would not fool with that, but you could experiment with the cruise-range settings yourself by loading the SERT software on your computer. You'll also need the necessary cables which you may need to buy if you don't already have them.
I may have to research this more. The wide open is ok, its not that often that I blast it but I am guilty of it sometimes. I really want to get my mileage up. Are these things hard to tune on your own.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:14 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

I may have to research this more. The wide open is ok, its not that often that I blast it but I am guilty of it sometimes. I really want to get my mileage up. Are these things hard to tune on your own.
I haven't worked with SERT but it has tables that deal with the AFR's for each cylinder. You should post something either here or the EFI forum and ask for advice from those who've worked with SERT. You should've received the software-install disk and manual, but if not I would go to where it was purchased and get them, or check with the PO if it was on the bike before you bought it.

I'm betting your tuner set the AFR's for the cruise range very rich to cool the bike down, obviously at the expense of mileage, but there is a compromise somewhere between ultimate cooling and mileage that you'll be happy with.

Old 03-24-2009, 11:49 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Sounds wrong, my 2540cc gets 31 mpg.

Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I only got 33 the other day on a 160 mile ride. It was 50-55 degrees. Although, look at all the weight I'm pulling with the fringe, hehe. I'm not the most conservative rider either. I love the sound of my Rineharts!

Quick Reply: 32 MPG How can this be??? 07 EGS