Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

32 MPG How can this be??? 07 EGS

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 12:08 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I get on my 04 RG 30 mpg around town and if I'm doing the highways with alot of stop I can get 42+ mpg.

I get on my 07 Lowrider 35 mpg around town and 45 mpg on the highway. So 30 mpg is about normal of your not doing alot of highway driving. Go for a couple longer rides and see the world. 6000 miles on a three year old bike is not broken in yet.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:18 PM
KoalaCowboy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohntonite
I own a 2007 EG Standard, has tour pack, Rienhardt True Duals and a SERT. I bought it used with 4600 miles in september. now at about 6000 miles. I checked the fuel to mileage ratio and was astonished. What could they have done to the setup when adding the SERT? Could it be set up for speed over milage or is that not possible. I dont do alot of long distance riding as it is winter and all. Could it be that its just my 30 miles a day that its not getting better? Im thinking I need to get it to the dyno and readjusted.

Your thoughts please. Thanx in advance.
Mohntonite...You should be getting around 46mpg on average, based on the info you provided.

My '07 Ultra with Stage I, Rinehart True-Duals and SERT; my fuel economy actually went up .57mpg when I put the Stage I, Rineharts & SERT on the bike.

I would, as previously suggested, have the bike dyno tuned (different place than the original if possible), because 32mpg is really low (IMO).

Old 03-24-2009, 08:44 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohntonite
I own a 2007 EG Standard, has tour pack, Rienhardt True Duals and a SERT. I bought it used with 4600 miles in september. now at about 6000 miles. I checked the fuel to mileage ratio and was astonished. What could they have done to the setup when adding the SERT? Could it be set up for speed over milage or is that not possible. I dont do alot of long distance riding as it is winter and all. Could it be that its just my 30 miles a day that its not getting better? Im thinking I need to get it to the dyno and readjusted.

Your thoughts please. Thanx in advance.
Sounds like the tune to me. I tuned over 400 bikes last summer, it was the first year we really had customers that wanted fuel economy oever performance. But you can have both. Like the above poster stated, we can tune your bike for performance in the 60, 80 and 100% throttle positions and for fuel economy in the cruising range. For example, my stage 2 96" is putting out 89 H.P. and 99 Trq and averages about 42 to 45 MPG. I notice you live in Pennsylvania, you shouls take a ride to Ohio for Ohio Bike Week in June, our dealership hosts it and there is tons of stuff to do, plus while your here I can get you tuned up. Let me know.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:50 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get 40 mpg on my 110 engine riding it aggressively. I would get the tuning checked.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
flhtupser
Tourer

Riding habits affect mileage in a big way. If your easy through the gears and cruise 60-65 you should be getting around 40 on the road.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
As with any advanced tuning device it's all in the tuning. Take it to a competent tuner and have the cruise-range AFR's set to around 14.5:1. This will get your mileage in line as long as you keep your wrist in control. You want to keep any throttle-position setting above about 50% to remain tuned for performance, as you're probably not in that range most of the time and you want the performance when needed. But for a majority of your riding there's no reason why you can't tune leaner to get better mileage.

Heat is a side-effect of a leaner mixture and detonation can follow from that. I would install an oil cooler if you don't already have one to get better control of engine temperatures. If engine heat is a problem after that you may need to richen the AFR's gradually until you're happy, but there's a good compromise somewhere in there for you.

I have an '07 SG with a PCV-AT, and get in the upper 40's when riding the backroads, up to 50mpg before I changed cams two weeks ago. I may have taken a minor hit in mileage with this upgrade, but not much, as yesterday I got 47mpg on one fill-up with no stop-and-go and half of which was at 65-70mph, the other half slower, 45mpg on the second that included some very heavy traffic but was otherwise ~60mph. City riding isn't as good, usually 36-40mpg. There isn't any reason why you can't do as well as I do with a good tune.

I would learn to tune SERT yourself and concentrate only on tweaking the cruise range. If you're happy with the WOT performance of the bike I would not fool with that, but you could experiment with the cruise-range settings yourself by loading the SERT software on your computer. You'll also need the necessary cables which you may need to buy if you don't already have them.
marked for reference.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

I recently went from about 39 miles per gallon to 33 miles per gallon after I got a re-tune when they installed new 211 cams and dresser duals on my 2006 Ultra. My tuner seems to want to maintain a AFR of about 13.5 consistently across the entire rpm range. Is this why I am only getting 33 mpg? Does this sound about right?

Old 03-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I recently went from about 39 miles per gallon to 33 miles per gallon after I got a re-tune when they installed new 211 cams and dresser duals on my 2006 Ultra. My tuner seems to want to maintain a AFR of about 13.5 consistently across the entire rpm range. Is this why I am only getting 33 mpg? Does this sound about right?
You bet that is why. Worse than the poor mileage is the damage that can be done to your rings from lack of proper lubrication. That is why breaking an engine in "rich" to keep it cooler is such a no-no.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM
garyhendley
Outstanding HDF Member

shrink how much weight is added on with all that fring looks cool -ride safe

Old 03-25-2009, 06:05 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Lonewolf176
You bet that is why. Worse than the poor mileage is the damage that can be done to your rings from lack of proper lubrication. That is why breaking an engine in "rich" to keep it cooler is such a no-no.
I'm a little confused. So is my current tune good or bad?

Quick Reply: 32 MPG How can this be??? 07 EGS