Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 download with stock AC and mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 12:26 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,376 Likes on 954 Posts
Default Stage 1 download with stock AC and mufflers?

Has anyone done that. Since it seems to be common knowledge that the stock setup is very lean. Or done the AC and mufflers and Stage 1 download but later went back to the stock AC and mufflers? Maybe a little **** retentive. I have seen a lot of posts about tuning. Have not seen one about that. Just wondering. Another thought while riding.

Old 03-23-2009, 05:54 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose that the theory is sound - that you would be adding more fuel to the mixture and reducing the lean tuning of the stock setup. But with your idea, you would be adding fuel at some throttle positions/rpm's and subtracting fuel at others since the download is programmed for a combination of higher flowing intake and specific HD exhaust equipment.

But you could accomplish exactly what you are looking for with an aftermarket fuel manager that is programmable. The DynoJet/FuelMoto Power Commander is one that many of us use for $299 including a custom map for your combination of intake and exhaust.

It would be interesting to hear what your results would be with this type of manager. An advantage of this idea is that if you install a high flow intake or aftermarket mufflers later on, a simple reprogramming would adjust the air/fuel mixture to achieve optimum performance.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:52 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

why would you go back to stock a/c and mufflers? you lost me

Old 03-23-2009, 08:30 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the "stage 1" download does is bring the mix back to factory....in other words it wont do a thing with stock a/c and mufflers. Stage 1 a/c and mufflers lean it out so the download just brings it back to factory, it doesn't richen the mix past that. If you added stage 1 a/c and mufflers, got the download and then went back to stock a/c and mufflers the ecm would revert back also. That's my understanding of it.

Last edited by ezriderpgh; 03-23-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:18 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

The reason I asked is I did Ness AC, Rush slipons/2" baffles and Stage 1 download. Maybe my imagination but it seemed to have more power in stock configuration. Especally at higher speeds. Does that make any sense? Fuel milage is about the same. I picked up some 1.75" baffles. Will put them in and see what happens. Yeah, I know. Go with a A/M fuel control unit. 2007 Ultra.

Last edited by OLD 96; 03-23-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The HD download contains optimum fuel settings across various RPM and throttle positions for HD equipment only. The Ness AC and Rush Slip-ons probably require different fuel settings for those various parameters.

In general, the HD download will provide a richer mixture, but would not probably be optimum for the equipment you have installed. In your case, the PowerCommander is going to provide a much more satisfactory map for the ECM.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:00 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 661 Likes on 411 Posts

I changed only the mufflers on my bike. It runs and sounds great. I realize I can increase power with a complete stage one, but it's a Harley. It's only gonna go so fast.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

Update. I pulled the 2" baffles out today. These are used Rushs. The right side packing was about 50% gone the rest was wadded up on one end. I went to put the 1.75" baffles in that I got for a steal at my indy shop. They were for a 2 1/2" muffler I guess. Great. Thats my luck. I went to the muffler shop and had them make 4 adapters. I welded these on the 1.75" baffles and made them fit the 3" cans. Worked out great. I can tell better thottle response. And, sounds fantastic. As a side note. I read on another forum about keeping the packing in place. As it just has masking tape around it. I took some steel screen wire and wrapped around the packing. And, then in 4 places wired it on with baling wire. A Harley just ain't a Harley without some baling wire on it. My $6900.00 2007 96" Ultra, a work in progress.

Last edited by OLD 96; 03-23-2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:43 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by checkers
why would you go back to stock a/c and mufflers? you lost me
Three letters.
EPA

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM
flhtupser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with PastorJohn that I think you would be better off in the long run with a fuel management system. The new power commander 5 seems real good. It's smaller and much more adjustable. It would take you long down the road with any future upgrades and Fuelmoto is a great outfit to deal with. My 2 cents worth. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Stage 1 download with stock AC and mufflers?