Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First ride on Power Duals and Monster Ovals...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First ride on Power Duals and Monster Ovals...

Hey everyone,

I spent a couple of afternoons putting on a set of VH Power Duals and Monster Ovals along with a PC5 from fuel moto and stage 1 a/c kit. Yesterday I put about 400 miles on the bike with the new setup. The power is definitely better and it can pull itself along ALOT better in 6th gear. The whole reason I put this setup on was for more 6th gear power for pulling a Bushtec trailer. I am planning a trip to Sturgis and stock my bike wouldn't pull my trailer very well at all on flat interstate without ANY hills. I wanted/needed a little more power to help with it and this setup delivered.

The sound while subjective has a louder drone than I anticipated. On my previous bike I had a set of VH slash cut slip ons in my stage 1 kit and this MO Power dual setup is quite a bit louder than that. Hearing the radio isn't an issue but after riding for 400 miles yesterday my ears were ringing a little bit and that was with a full face helmet on. Overall I am happy with the performance and can deal with the noise by wearing ear plugs to get the power I wanted/needed.

The install for me was quite a chore. If I didn't have a platform lift I would have had a very hard time installing this setup while laying on the floor. Overall the header/exhaust took me about 5 hours to remove/install. The instructions are poor and I was missing some of the hardware. I had to call their help desk twice during the install of the headers and both times I talked to very helpful people that helped me get my problems resolved. A trip to the local hardware store found the few missing parts I needed to complete the install. I did install it all by myself and don't see where a helper is really necessary but a lift would be a big bonus in my book.

Overall I would say that I would do this install again but I wish the pipes were a little quieter than they are. The drone on the highway was more than I was prepared for. I'm not going to say that I won't change the slip ons out for something else but will probably ride this season with this setup and then maybe next fall look and see what else is out there.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:13 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello Lee - good to see your post! Looks like the PCV and Monster Ovals are getting a lot of press lately. I have had similar results as you and agree especially with your comments about the sound levels of the MO's. I did about 400 miles yesterday on mine and they were a bit more audible than what I expected. With a 3/4 helmet I needed earplugs to minimize the fatigue of listening to them all day. I really like the sound of them around town, but I'm not convinced that I'm going to enjoy them on tour.

Interestingly, I rode today with a 1/2 helmet and earplugs and the sound from the mufflers was greatly subdued. I really enjoyed their tone with the shorter helmet and wouldn't have a problem with an all-day ride like that if I felt better about 1/2 helmets. I didn't expect that... I'm going to ride with my full face helmet tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the results are...

Old 03-22-2009, 09:24 PM
2swild
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pm sent

Old 03-22-2009, 11:50 PM
wkenddad
Tourer

Could you post a recording of the set-up?
I was considering the same for my Ultra...

Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It has been my experience that the more helmet you wear the louder the exhaust pounding. I have very limited experience with the full face helmet but quite a bit with a 3/4, 1/2 and no helmet. To me, the noise is less bothersome with no helmet. And the least with no helmet and no ear plugs. Doesn't seem right but that is just my experience.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:42 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

PT.....yeah it feels good to be riding some again. I had a nuerostimulator put in(glorified pacemaker) and it got rid of my hand pain so I am now starting to get back into the swing of things.

I typically ride with a FF helmet out of preference and would like to keep it that way but I'll try it with a 1/2 helmet to see how it sounds like. Overall the performance is what I was looking for but the highway sound is a little high IMO for consecutive high mileage days. I'll be going out to Sturgis this year and will see several 500 mile days on that trip. I'm a little concerned about the highway noise level for that extended period but I'm sure it'll be fine.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the write up! 07Ultra with a stock exhaust and am concidering going the route you selected.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:09 PM
sny24x8y
1st Gear

Originally Posted by leeinmemphis
Hey everyone,

I spent a couple of afternoons putting on a set of VH Power Duals and Monster Ovals along with a PC5 from fuel moto and stage 1 a/c kit. Yesterday I put about 400 miles on the bike with the new setup. The power is definitely better and it can pull itself along ALOT better in 6th gear. The whole reason I put this setup on was for more 6th gear power for pulling a Bushtec trailer. I am planning a trip to Sturgis and stock my bike wouldn't pull my trailer very well at all on flat interstate without ANY hills. I wanted/needed a little more power to help with it and this setup delivered.

The sound while subjective has a louder drone than I anticipated. On my previous bike I had a set of VH slash cut slip ons in my stage 1 kit and this MO Power dual setup is quite a bit louder than that. Hearing the radio isn't an issue but after riding for 400 miles yesterday my ears were ringing a little bit and that was with a full face helmet on. Overall I am happy with the performance and can deal with the noise by wearing ear plugs to get the power I wanted/needed.

The install for me was quite a chore. If I didn't have a platform lift I would have had a very hard time installing this setup while laying on the floor. Overall the header/exhaust took me about 5 hours to remove/install. The instructions are poor and I was missing some of the hardware. I had to call their help desk twice during the install of the headers and both times I talked to very helpful people that helped me get my problems resolved. A trip to the local hardware store found the few missing parts I needed to complete the install. I did install it all by myself and don't see where a helper is really necessary but a lift would be a big bonus in my book.

Overall I would say that I would do this install again but I wish the pipes were a little quieter than they are. The drone on the highway was more than I was prepared for. I'm not going to say that I won't change the slip ons out for something else but will probably ride this season with this setup and then maybe next fall look and see what else is out there.
Hi Lee
I presently have the Monster Ovals on my 09 Road King Classic with the stage 1 Kit, I found your thread very useful as I'm planning to go with the power duals along with the fuel pak. The question I have is: Were you required to perform a dyno with the new head pipes and Power commander? and if so, what were the readings. I'm opting for the fuel pak to avoid the dyno and also because the bike will stay stock in regard to engine work. I"m getting the impression that your not totally satisfied with the setup, any reservations in addition to the noise level?
Thanks
Lou

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by sny24x8y
Hi Lee
I presently have the Monster Ovals on my 09 Road King Classic with the stage 1 Kit, I found your thread very useful as I'm planning to go with the power duals along with the fuel pak. The question I have is: Were you required to perform a dyno with the new head pipes and Power commander? and if so, what were the readings. I'm opting for the fuel pak to avoid the dyno and also because the bike will stay stock in regard to engine work. I"m getting the impression that your not totally satisfied with the setup, any reservations in addition to the noise level?
Thanks
Lou
Hey there,

I have sold the monster ovals and replaced them with the 4" Rhineharts. For me the monster ovals had a terrible drone on the highway that I just couldn't get use to. The fuel pack will likely work just fine but I had a fuel pack prior to the PC5 and I definitely get better fuel mileage with the pc5 over the fuel pack.(not that it matters any more since I have moved it up to a 117" Motor)

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have put a similar setup on my 10 SG but I used the twin slash rounds and yes the power duals and pcv also all from Fuel Moto and I must say the map they sent is pretty much right on. I Also love the sound and the extended power the system provides but after a long time on the highway the sound does get a little much but wouldn't change it. The around town sound is great also.

Not sure about the sound difference to the MO's but am a little currious.