Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Stuck" rear Cylinder plug Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry "Stuck" rear Cylinder plug Help!

Well I thought that changing plugs was not above my pay grade! Front plug came out fine.The rear pluc (Cylinder) is another story........It loosened like it wants to come out but as I turn it it gets tighter! Any Idea? Other than trading in the scoot for a new one? Plugs ewere changed at 10K by dealer........Now have 23K...Front plug was fine as far as looks go.........Thought I would take it a ride to warm up while waiting for replys to see if a little "Heat" helps........Thanks in advance to all............out for a warm up ride..........Marty

Old 03-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Serg06
Cruiser

Thats what ii was going to suggest, getting her nice and hot. Also try going out till it starts to get stuck then down again over and over. It may work. If not take it back to the dealer thast did the last plug change and see what the f*ck they can come up with. Thats why I don't allow the dealer to touch my bike. It's hard to find a good mechanic that give a crap about our bikes. Sorry for the rant.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:31 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Question A Cluster F***K

Well the "Heat at least allowed me to get the plug out.But some of the "threads" from the outer cylinder came with the plug! I thought this would happen......**** a brick.........What do you think? put a new plug in and see what happens or Pull the head and re-thread/replace head? Ideas? thanks in advance...............**** **** ****...............Marty.

Originally Posted by Serg06
Thats what ii was going to suggest, getting her nice and hot. Also try going out till it starts to get stuck then down again over and over. It may work. If not take it back to the dealer thast did the last plug change and see what the f*ck they can come up with. Thats why I don't allow the dealer to touch my bike. It's hard to find a good mechanic that give a crap about our bikes. Sorry for the rant.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:36 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on getting it hot then trying to loosen it.I don't know if they use heli coils in the TC96heads. but sounds like a heli coil came loose. You might try a little penetrating oil. I always use anti seize compound on mine and don't over tighten. I had to replace both o2 sensors on my brand new 08EGC when I put my new pipes on.It was like they were welded in.Can't for the life of me understand why they didn't use anti seize compound at the factory.

Last edited by D2R; 03-22-2009 at 01:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:38 PM
Serg06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MyRide7
Well the "Heat at least allowed me to get the plug out.But some of the "threads" from the outer cylinder came with the plug! I thought this would happen......**** a brick.........What do you think? put a new plug in and see what happens or Pull the head and re-thread/replace head? Ideas? thanks in advance...............**** **** ****...............Marty.
How many threads did you loose. And how many left? If it is just one or two at the top end I would just replace with fresh plug. If it becomes an issue then yes take apart and heely coil? it.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:41 PM
MyRide7
Tourer

D2R,
I used Anti Seize on the front I replaced ....but now I am looking up a goats azz I think as far as the rear goes.........anyone out there had this issue (see above) on the rear? IF so any suggeations? go for broke and put in a plug anyway...say fluck it and pull it apart?........Marty.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:43 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Default Crap shoot

Looks like almost two at the top and and the second one up from the bottom is about half.......

Originally Posted by Serg06
How many threads did you loose. And how many left? If it is just one or two at the top end I would just replace with fresh plug. If it becomes an issue then yes take apart and heely coil? it.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Serg06
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MyRide7
Looks like almost two at the top and and the second one up from the bottom is about half.......
If you decide to just run it. Make sure you drop a magnet down there and see if there isn't any that may have fell down into the barrel. I have used a magnet wand on dirt bikes before.

But it is an easy fix. And not really expensive to do it right. The weather is kinda ifee so it is a good time to repair it the proper way.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:53 PM
MyRide7
Tourer
Unhappy

Ya guess I will pull it a fix it correctly.....I had an old 280z many years ago that this happened and I "thought" I would wing it and of course this did n't work to well for me so had the fix it right........well I guess I needed another project to do! Thanks for all your input.............Marty.

QUOTE=Serg06;4744180]If you decide to just run it. Make sure you drop a magnet down there and see if there isn't any that may have fell down into the barrel. I have used a magnet wand on dirt bikes before.

But it is an easy fix. And not really expensive to do it right. The weather is kinda ifee so it is a good time to repair it the proper way.[/QUOTE]

Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

take it to a machine shop, have them put a helicoil in it. you dont need to pull the head to have it fixed.

Quick Reply: "Stuck" rear Cylinder plug Help!