Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Stuck" rear Cylinder plug Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
When I have seen it done with the head on the bike yes they fished around with a magnet and then vacuumed the cylinder. I do not think it was their first rodeo.
Dont see how a magnet would help unless you have cast iron heads.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
bustert
Grand HDF Member
Received 791 Likes on 692 Posts

heli-coils are fine but i would use a thread insert. the heli-coil is just that a coil and it too can come unwound in the head. the tread insert uses locking pins to secure it in place and will be stronger that the heli-coil. a note on never-seize: only use a small spot about two threads up from the end of the plug. this will ensure you do not foul the plug. a better product to use is desco 220. this is a space age lube and unlike metal particle base never-seize, it will not carbon up the treads and seize them. i would bet the shop mechanic over torqued the plugs and stretched the threads in the head which broke off and thread locked the plug when you removed them. a fantastic penatrate to use is aero- kroil made by nano industries.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bustert
heli-coils are fine but i would use a thread insert. the heli-coil is just that a coil and it too can come unwound in the head. the tread insert uses locking pins to secure it in place and will be stronger that the heli-coil.
Helicoils are thread inserts.

The "thread insert" you are refering to is a Time-sert or Keensert.

All of the above are brand names.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 06-10-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:16 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

damm, sorta surprised that you didn't warm up the motor, then shut it off, and spray some pb2 down into the threads. that's why i use the anti sneeze on the threads before installing the plugs, and using the torque wrench. i never have had problems with plugs doing it that way. one guy said, use a magnet to get out whatever is left of the threads? must be a special sort of aluminum magnet that he's talking about, cause surely you didn't lose threads off of the spark plug. good luck with fixing it. i'd try to let the dealer who caused the problem help before you tear into it.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:26 AM
418S
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"d pull the head and go from there. Do the job once correctly - piece of mind.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I really was not thinking about it, I was not thinking about an aluminum head strictly. Thus, no magnet would not work on a Harley. My point being, a long time ago, a shop is not going to repair it knowingly causing damage.
Originally Posted by emwolb
damm, sorta surprised that you didn't warm up the motor, then shut it off, and spray some pb2 down into the threads. that's why i use the anti sneeze on the threads before installing the plugs, and using the torque wrench. i never have had problems with plugs doing it that way. one guy said, use a magnet to get out whatever is left of the threads? must be a special sort of aluminum magnet that he's talking about, cause surely you didn't lose threads off of the spark plug. good luck with fixing it. i'd try to let the dealer who caused the problem help before you tear into it.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pay me now or pay me later, I would pull the head and fix it right. That's me. Because it will F*** you when you least need it too.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:25 AM
gary_montague
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like two new jugs with SE pistons and a fuel pac would do the trick.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Time to face it Dude - you're screwed. No pun intended. Talk to a good automotive machine shop before spending any money on helicoils. They work well in many applications and may do the job here but I really think it's time to look for a new head.
I don't know of any aluminum head manufacturer in the automotive end that does not insist on antisieze on sparkplug threads. Of course you don't need to slather it on, just a dab and you're good to go.
Chances are slim to none that after 10,000+ mi. the offending dealer will help at all.
Good luck and I hope this doesn't happen to you ever again.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this happen on a new remanufactured motor fr HD. The mechanic got it out w penetrating oil and just ran a thread chaser down a couple times and everything was fine.

Quick Reply: "Stuck" rear Cylinder plug Help!