Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

half shovel half evo gotta change clutch basket help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM
vicmaynard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post half shovel half evo gotta change clutch basket help!!!

hey all i'v got an 84 flht and i'v got starting problems again and this time i'm gonna fix it right i hope !! i've just ordered all new starting parts solenoid, starter ,starter drive ,and last but definately not least clutch basket ! i've got the old dry clutch and my oiler works well still the only problem is i've never pulled that clutch out yet just adjusted it once after throw out bearing went out and its still working great so i dont really wanna mess anything up there . so anyone able to give me step by step on dissasembly and reassembly of that style clutch its a basic three stud clutch just need to change clutch shell because ring gear is all chewed up. thanks ,Vic

Old 03-22-2009, 10:48 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Once down to the clutch pull the pressure plate,(no need for a puller) lay the steels and frictions out in the order you take them out.Bend locking tab on hub nut,you will need a special socket,remember it is a left hand thread.Impact it off.Pull the old basket,reverse the assembly procedure.Good Luck

Old 03-22-2009, 04:59 PM
bigtone
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a tapered mainshaft, you'll probably need a puller to break the shell off the shaft. I use a harmonic balancer puller, line it up on the 3 studs, and use the nuts on the studs to hold it on. Usually just a crack and it comes off. I've heard sometimes they come off after you remove the nut, but that has never happened to me yet.

Attached Thumbnails half shovel half evo gotta change clutch basket help!!!-custom.jpg  
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM
vicmaynard
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Got Her Runnin

Got her runnin thanks to everyone who helped the washer behind the adjuster worked perfect it kept all the springs in place and also made it easier to reinstall nuts on the studs a suggestion by notlost thanks . Also thanks also to sqdealgeorge he gave me his # and i called him because i did not know you had to remove the compensator sprocket to get the primary chain out he gave me some suggestions and they worked great. my ol gal starts better than ever now!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks,
Vic