Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wait or go for it

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wait or go for it

Here is my dilemma. I plan on purchasing a 09 Ultra Classic w/ABS and Security in red hot Sunglo.

Since I am in the Military and deployed I could purchase the bike through Exchange new car sales for about $1800 off MSRP OR take my chances at finding a good deal with a local shop. I know I may not reach $1,800 in cash off the MSRP with a dealer, but with discounts and added bennies it may add up to that.

Not sure if I want to gamble.

Thoughts?

Old 03-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not want to gamble. Try and talk with your local dealer.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:47 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,114 Likes on 356 Posts

Unless the time you have to wait is to long with the military purchase, I say go for it. Especially if it's there when ya get back. I would order it and get what ya want, rather than looking and hoping you get a better deal when ya get back. Plus adding all the goodies yourself makes it more your bike (plus gives ya more of an excuse for dinking some brews while wrenching).

Good Luck, be careful and thanks for serving...give'em hell.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:48 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not gamble! Buy your bike through the AAFES New Car Sales. You can not count on getting a discount from dealerships. While some will bargain, alot of them still will not. $1800 off is an awesome deal. And the dealer your bike gets delivered too can still help you with other fun stuff ya wanna put on!

Now just keep your head down and stay safe!

Mike

Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 AM
Old Bones
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for your service.

When my son got back from Iraq only one stealer around here offered a discount for being over there. It was nowhere near the $1800. Unless you can find out before returning that someone will do a better deal than grab the deal thru New Car Sales.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:19 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I got more than $1800 off MSRP from my dealer. There are plenty of deals out there. You just need to shop around. And if you can wait 4-5 more months the deals should be even better.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:23 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

take the bird in the hand...

Old 03-22-2009, 07:35 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Monstermile
I got more than $1800 off MSRP from my dealer. There are plenty of deals out there. You just need to shop around. And if you can wait 4-5 more months the deals should be even better.
The deals must be a lot better by you MM, around here they're willing to drop $375 off the prep charge, and still want MSRP and freight. What I'm hearing is that since Harley has cut production the dealers are running out of new bikes, so they aren't dealing like they were.

My advice would be to either take the offer for $1,800 off - or wait for the 2010's to come out. If there are still any '09's left you'll get your best deal on one then.

Thank you for your service - God speed on the remainder of your tour.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Tx_Rider
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Johan96
I would not want to gamble. Try and talk with your local dealer.

I appreciate the input. I did talk to a dealer in OCT when I was home on leave. They are an MSRP dealer. Granted, that was before the economy took a hit. Order time from here is about 4 months which is about when I would want delivery (July). If I took a chance with a dealer I could live with a different color but the ABS and security are a must.

In addition to the $1,800 off the MSRP, they would add the time I am deployed to the warranty, which is 15 months.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Fahpah
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, thanks for doin what you are doin, wish I could be there to help you out.

By ordering now you get exactly what you want, color, and options at 1800 off MSRP, and an extended warrenty per say.

If you wait you will have to settle for what you can find at a dealer that may or may not give you even close to what you are going to get off by going through AAFES and the basic warrenty.

Seems simple to me, I would go with the preorder, but you have to make your own choice.

Quick Reply: Wait or go for it