Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King FLHPI switches

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

On my '04 EG police model, the left hand switches included a large red lever for the horn. How are you going to eliminate it and retain the horn function? The Deutsch connector at the end of the horn function you currently have doesn't need to be changed or moved.

In the slot where a civilian horn switch would be located, my bike had a siren on/off switch. Consequently, in order to retain a horn function, I replaced the siren/hi-lo switch pair with the civilian horn/hi-lo switch pair. When I did this almost 4 years ago, those switches were sold in a pair attached to a metal bracket for fastening them to the inside of the upper switch housing. A seperate civilian horn switch was not an option.

The new horn/hi-lo switch pair came with sufficient wire length to splice into the wires left after the red horn switch was cut-off, as well as the siren/hi-lo switch with the splices done inside the switch housing.

Frankly, I don't see how you can retain the horn function without replacing the switch that controls it. And if your replace that red horn switch you are going to cut wires and splice in a new civilian horn switch.

As for the right side switches, the Road King controls the passing/pursuit lights using a different switch than the civilian EG does. The solution is to change the wiring to match what's on a civilian RK. But eliminating the red siren switch and the pursuit lamp switch requires that wires be cut to remove them.

Good luck with your project. If you find a better way to accomplish your goals, be sure to post them, preferably with pics.

Old 03-23-2009, 09:12 PM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still looking for the directions I used. The first conversion I did was on my 04 FLHP. I installed Cruisemount's kit to make the HD electronic cruise control work on it. With this kit you replace the police controls with the controls that come with the cruise kit. If you are interested in cruise at all, this might be an option for you. If I remember right, I used the directions from the Cruisemount kit to replace the controls on my 02 FLHP with a set of standard controls I bought from a buddy (no cruise). The installation was similar with the exception of the separate plugs that carry the cruise functions. Again, there was no cutting of wires - you just take pins out of one deutch connector and put them into another. If memory serves, there are a few wires that are taken out of a connector, taped off, and left out of the connector as they are not used (pursuit lights, siren, etc.) I'll keep looking - a lot of old parts and crap to dig through!!!