Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Lower Leg Questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 AM
Agnes the dog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Lower Leg Questions

I'm thinking about getting chrome lower legs and cow bells. I am considering several options: 1) Buying genuine HD lowers (+quality/ high price) 2) Buying ebay chromed original legs (?quality/ lower price) 3) Buying a second set and having them chromed locally (time consuming/ ?price) or 4) Removing my stuff and having them chromed locally (time consuming with potential long down time/ ? price).

Please tell me your experiences with the ebay stuff, positive or negative. If anyone had their own stuff chromed, please let me know how that went and how much you paid. I already know that you get what you pay for, but I don't necessarily want to pay dealer prices if I am can get the same quality for less.

Oh, and if you have a good set (I have a 2000 Road King) that you want to sell, please let me know.

Thanks for any input.

JJ

Old 03-22-2009, 03:21 AM
gliderman
Road Captain

Are there not any places near where you live that you could do a chrome exchange of your stock sliders? This allows you to see the actual chrome you will be replacing for your stock pieces. All chrome is not created equal. Be careful of chrome on ebay or anywhere else that you can't see firsthand. I recently went to a chrome shop in L.A. that advertises on ebay called Impress Plating. After checking out there chrome legs, I found the top of the legs (where the seals are pressed into the legs) to be very jagged and rough instead of nice and smooth. This will mess up your seals when seating them. Sometimes it's better to pay for better quality when it comes to chrome........

Old 03-22-2009, 03:23 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I took the middle road. Got HD's chrome front end kit, but bought it online at 20% off. $367 at Zanotti's.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:30 AM
8upFLHRI
Advanced

i bought HD kit online @ 20% off also. i dont think i would want my factory cowbells chromed , i did not notice it until i took it apart but the seams are way bigger and there are several visible spot welds on them.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 AM
gabulldog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sending mine to Atlas Plating in Houston, Tx. next week for plating. I have gotten good reports from several guys about their quality. They charge $140, I called Friday and they are working on a 2 week schedule + - a day or so. I'll report back on the timing and quality when I get them back. gs

Old 03-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Taylorized
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I used Impress Plating on ebay. 140 for the lowers and they send them to you first. Then you send yours back.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 AM
mastery
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Taylorized
I used Impress Plating on ebay. 140 for the lowers and they send them to you first. Then you send yours back.
I did the same thing. Their quality is excellent, no burrs or problems. Compared them to my neighbor's HD chrome lowers, and I think mine actually look better. And, you cannot beat the price.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

By exchanging the lowers,is there a risk of getting some that have worn out parts inside such as bushings?
I know new seals should be installed,anything else?

If I was to have mine chromed,I would sand,polish the mold marks off first.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 03-22-2009 at 08:14 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought the HD kit from my local dealer at 20% off list, and they swapped out the axle covers in the kit for me as a credit against the HD covers (more expensive of course). Before I bought the HD kit, I checked with a couple of indy shops to ask who they used for chroming lowers and both said I'd be better off buying the HD kit.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all is included in the HD "KIT"?

Quick Reply: Chrome Lower Leg Questions