Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a little help: V&H Dresser Duals installation...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 09:07 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a little help: V&H Dresser Duals installation...

As many times as I've changed pipes, I always forget how much I hate this job. Those rear jug exhaust flange nuts are so frustrating to get at no matter how many flexible, wobble sockets I use. But I digress...

I installed a set of V&H Dresser Duals and classic turndown slip ons today. Problem is that the left side head pipe is SO close to the frame that I cannot get my left side body panel back on. I think the problem is in the bracket for the left/rear pipe that attaches to the starter housing . The dresser duals require a new bracket there and you're supposed to re-use the stock post piece that attaches to the bracket, but there's no mention of how it's to be positioned and the picture is worthless.

For anyone that's installed dresser duals, do you recall or can you check how that post piece is oriented? If you look at the piece from the left side of the bike, it can be rotated 180º from 9 o'clock, to noon (straight up) or 3 o'clock (where mine is).

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who's installed the dresser duals to see if there's anything I can do to reposition the headpipe. As difficult as it is to remove/install that rear pipe, I'd like to not get into a trial and error exercise.

Thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:54 PM
drive2live2ride
Supporter

Not sure other than to let you know I recently put dresser duals on my 08 SG and no clearance problems with the pipes themselves. The pics are hard to see in the instructions. Here is a link to a pdf file that may have a better picture of the rear support bracket. My bracket is oriented very closely to the one in this pic. Hope it helps.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/download/D435IN.pdf

Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 PM
JPstreetglide
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep all bolts loose including the clamp that attaches the head pipe to the muffler and make the adjustment. Once you have enough clearance for the side cover to go on and off tighten all the bolts and muffler clamps

Old 03-22-2009, 06:36 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by drive2live2ride
Not sure other than to let you know I recently put dresser duals on my 08 SG and no clearance problems with the pipes themselves. The pics are hard to see in the instructions. Here is a link to a pdf file that may have a better picture of the rear support bracket. My bracket is oriented very closely to the one in this pic. Hope it helps.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/download/D435IN.pdf
Thanks, the PDF pic is much clearer than the printed directions. My silver post bracket is rotated more, so I'll bet that's it. I'll be out of town for a few days, so it'll have to wait until next weekend. Thanks again.