Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Front lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
FX4 Level II
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Progressive Front lowering kit

Has anyone installed the Progressive fork lowering kit recently? It says to remove the fork, which I did, I drained the right fork since this it says is the only fork I need to change the springs in? I have a 2002 FLHTC. So, how much oil should I add back in, and before that, I don't have the fork tube vise holder they reccommend in the manual, so does that fork top bolt have a torque spec? Also when I take that bolt off is it a two man job? Is it under spring pressure where it will take my head off? Just a little confused and the instructions and service manual are a little confusing.

Old 04-14-2010, 01:10 PM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Humph!? No reply yet huh! Here's some answers ...

Has anyone installed the Progressive fork lowering kit recently? yes, I'm doing it today

It says to remove the fork, which I did, I drained the right fork since this it says is the only fork I need to change the springs in? Hum? You should have two forks (unless one fell off) - drain them both! The Progressive Kit comes with two springs; change them both.

I have a 2002 FLHTC. So, how much oil should I add back in, Check your manual

and before that, I don't have the fork tube vise holder they reccommend in the manual, You don't need one, use a screw driver to hold the fork in place (on the bike) while you remove the 6mm fork bolt.

so does that fork top bolt have a torque spec? Yes, check your manual

Also when I take that bolt off is it a two man job? No

Is it under spring pressure where it will take my head off? No it is not, however, the bolt on the slider (where the spring is) is under pressure but not enough to hurt you if you are ready for it to pop up

Just a little confused and the instructions and service manual are a little confusing. Do a little research into many of the threads on this forum that show you step by step how to do this work inconjunction with your service manual. Here's one - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...p-updated.html

Good Luck...feel free to ask other question when you get started

Last edited by jokenighttrain; 04-14-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:37 PM
cmtbasser
Tourer
Default Ditto

on all of that, the vise is nice but the sj trick works great. Or use a light imoact and a stretched allen socket.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 PM
jokenighttrain
Cruiser

Love it when someone asks for help and then doesn't reply when help is offered.