Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term effects of O2 sensor eliminators (PCV)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:01 AM
Rubbit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long term effects of O2 sensor eliminators (PCV)?

Close to ordering a Fuelmoto package for my 09 UC and a buddy mine starts telling me about possible problems down the road by going with a system that elemantes the O2 sensors. He is a mechanic but his background is with cars not bikes, so i am wondering what info. you guys have and if any problems. I guess Fuelmoto is closed on Saturdays, called and got nobody. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

From what I understand, the stock O2 sensors help to adjust the A/F ration in a narrow band of control. Yea, the PC-V eliminates the sensors but it also remaps your A/F to a more livable condition that is more rich in fuel, thus cooling the combustion down. So, the O2 sensors are no longer needed nor would they be useful in any way. At least, thats my take on it. I dont see how that would have any effect or change over time. The bike runs better, stronger and cooler right from the get go with the PC-V.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 AM
molsen
Road Master

For a car there are many problems not having an o2 and OBD-II setup. As it would have it for us HD owners the ECM has a setup that needs a map to tell the ecm how to operate. Delphi used this system since 03. Eleminating o2 is not a big deal, just cannot use the auto tune feature. That is all. Will not hurt the bike, as long as the map is right on.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:00 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

its not a problem ,if you are really concerned the autotune uses wideband o2 sensors.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

didnt know that...

Old 03-21-2009, 11:36 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 648 Likes on 516 Posts

ok here goes the stock system uses narrow band 02 they only read a small range wich is lean (for the epa) the ecm runs in either open loop or closed loop,the eliminaters keep it in open loop and u run off the pc map all the time wich isnt a bad thing since closed loop it will try and lean it out to the stock 14.7-1 unlees u add wide band sensors that are capable of reading lower afr ,unless u like to tinker and make lots of mods u dont really need them but they are cheaper than doing dyno runs evertime u do a mod.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:38 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only problem I could foresee would be that if you left the O2's in place after installing the PC V, they may carbon up a bit and not funtion properly if you decided to reuse them down the road. They run very hot when in use and it keeps the tips clean. I pulled my O2's out after I installed my PC V and replaced them with (are you ready for this?) Toyota oil pan drain plugs. They have the same thread/pitch as the O2's they replace and are only a couple of bucks apiece. (As compared to the 'special' O2 plugs that everyone sells for 7-9 dollars apiece) The Toyota P/N is 90341-18016. Just put a little antisieze on them before installing, snug 'em down, and you're good to go. If, for some reason, you need to take the bike in for warrenty work, disconnect the PC V, reinstall the O2's, hook them up and motor on over to the dealer.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:18 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
The only problem I could foresee would be that if you left the O2's in place after installing the PC V, they may carbon up a bit and not funtion properly if you decided to reuse them down the road. They run very hot when in use and it keeps the tips clean. I pulled my O2's out after I installed my PC V and replaced them with (are you ready for this?) Toyota oil pan drain plugs. They have the same thread/pitch as the O2's they replace and are only a couple of bucks apiece. (As compared to the 'special' O2 plugs that everyone sells for 7-9 dollars apiece) The Toyota P/N is 90341-18016. Just put a little antisieze on them before installing, snug 'em down, and you're good to go. If, for some reason, you need to take the bike in for warrenty work, disconnect the PC V, reinstall the O2's, hook them up and motor on over to the dealer.
That is an excellent idea!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Thanks for the info. Kind of figured that it was something along those lines.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:30 PM
molsen
Road Master

They are 18mmx1.5 pitch threads. Allmost all o2s are this. Except for a few Nissans, Toyotas with a flange.

Quick Reply: Long term effects of O2 sensor eliminators (PCV)?