Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long term effects of O2 sensor eliminators (PCV)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:04 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to add a little more... As far as the ECM is concerned, you are still using the O2 sensors. The "eliminators" you plug in to the wiring harness where the O2's plugged in give a steady electrical resistance telling the ECM that the AF ratio is constant (probably at the 14.7). That way, the PCV can add fuel without the ECM seeing that richer condition and trying to lean it back out.

All that to say the motor doesn't care if the O2 sensors are installed, only the ECM. The eliminators fool the ECM and make it think that they are working whether you leave them in the head pipe or pull them out and install a plug.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The PC V runs "open loop" only, the stocker runs "closed loop" and "open loop". A closed loop system needs the O2 sensors and an open loop system does not. This is the same for cars as well as bikes. A PC V simply modifies the stock system to run open loop only.
Disabling the O2's is necessary for the PC V to operate and won't hurt the bike. Removing the O2's from the system will help to keep the O2's in a reusable condition. There are plugs available if you want to remove the sensors.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:27 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
I pulled my O2's out after I installed my PC V and replaced them with (are you ready for this?) Toyota oil pan drain plugs. They have the same thread/pitch as the O2's they replace and are only a couple of bucks apiece. (As compared to the 'special' O2 plugs that everyone sells for 7-9 dollars apiece) The Toyota P/N is 90341-18016.
Good tip! I'll be putting that part number in my notes for future reference, although I have Auto-Tune and hope I won't be going back to full-time open-loop.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:36 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubbit
...a buddy mine starts telling me about possible problems down the road by going with a system that elemantes the O2 sensors. He is a mechanic but his background is with cars not bikes, so i am wondering what info. you guys have and if any problems. I guess Fuelmoto is closed on Saturdays, called and got nobody. Thanks for the help.
I believe you're getting good feedback so far and can't imagine what might be problematic with the O2-sensor eliminators. I've heard of none in the years I've been following the forums. Your friend may be referring to a lack of flexibility in sensing changes in altitude, humidity, air-temperature, etc. in open-loop mode--but this will not be a problem since the MAP, head-temp, and intake-air-temp sensors in place and functioning with the PCV will provide accurate EFI changes as atmospheric conditions change. The Delphi EFI is an often-misunderstood and unappreciated system, even with the O2 sensors out of service.