Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing inner fairing on an 04 EGC.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:44 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Removing inner fairing on an 04 EGC.

I am going to be painting a trailer we just finished up to be pulled behind the EGC and I am going to have enough paint left to be able to shoot my inner. I am just wondering how long and how many headaches are going to be involved for this process?

Old 03-21-2009, 02:14 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Pulling the inner fairing is involved, but you can certainly do it. Just take your time and be sure to label your connections, unless you already know where everythign goes. Be sure to remove your windshield first, then work dow from there. The headlamp remains inside the fairing, no need to try and remove it. Once you the fairing unscrewed, you will need to unplug the headlamp (one connection). Once you're done with that then the outer fairing comes right off. Watch that you don't scratch your fairing on the passing maps when taking it off. Once removed, you'll begin the process of unplugging the stereo, gauges, etc. Gauges and stereo pull out from the front. It's intimidating the first time, but you can do it. like I said...
T A K E Y O U R T I M E.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let us know how it goes

Old 03-21-2009, 06:42 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pay close attention to how the wire loom is run inside the fairing and where the plugs are positioned... Take pics if necessary. If the loom gets too far out of place then its tough to get the outer fairing back on. I just did mine . The weather was crummy so i took damn near 2 days removing and replacing but i think in reality it was more like 6 hours over a 2 day period. I spent extra time cleaning everything under the fairing also..

Old 03-21-2009, 07:20 AM
brihvac
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Doing it by myself, and taking my time, it took me almost 2 hours to remove. I did not mark any wires because they were wrapped and tied good and connected to the fairing brackets. They stayed in place pretty good, so I didnt mark them. When I put the inner fairing back on the plugs were right behind the gauges, I just plugged them in. Putting the inner fairing back on took me 2 hours because I was taking my time so I didnt scratch it. It actually pretty easy, just intimidating. (like changing your control covers). Key is take your time and dont rush.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:30 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

It's not at all difficult; just tedious. Follow the excellent directions in the HD Service Manual. No special tools required.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
It's not at all difficult; just tedious. Follow the excellent directions in the HD Service Manual. No special tools required.
This is the best advice you will get.
With the service manual, and maybe a freind you won't have any problems and it will go easy and fast.
With buddy reading the step by step instructions, and me doing the work, it was a hour on and an hour off.
Get the manual.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:27 AM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

I appreciate all the advice!! My roadie and I are going to try and start on it this week on our days off. Time should not be of an essence for our weather is now turning from cold to WET and cold!!!! I have been seeing several other rides out there with painted inner and I got infected with the "igottahaveitisz" disease and it's killing me till I finish it!!!

The trailer is done except for the painting of the luggage box and finish wiring those lights in. We have a total of 76 LED bulbs ( 12 lights and 1 hitch skull) installed and can power them all with 1-9 volt battery!!!!!!!!!! God bless LED's. Will be using an MC Hitch to tow it all. Will place pic's when it is all done. Thanks and keep any input on removal hints and suggestions coming for god knows I need it!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You're roadie!
Are you a rock star?

Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Thats what our wives call us. We are always in concert for some kind of ride to somewhere for something no matter what the weather as long as it is dry!! We work together and are always over at the others house working on the bikes or cars or building something for them. We have worked together in the Dept. for 13 years together.