Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Someone did this nifty road map of the 'holes' under your bike! Keep a copy scotch taped to your wall!

Attached Thumbnails Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?-4d85cb41488e45aba190c609fc689be7.jpg  
Old 03-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Siberianhusky
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soos
Mobil1 15-50 Synthetic $26.00 5qt. jug from Wal-Mart. Change every 5K miles.

Mobil1 75-90 Synthetic Tranny Oil $8.00 any auto parts store. Change once a season.

Castrol GTX 10-40 Dino $2.50qt for Primary from Wal-Mart.
Using a synthetic is a waste of money. Change once a season.

HD Super Premium Oil Filters. I buy 6 at a time from either Chicago HD or Zanottis online @ 20% off. Your filter is the weakest link in your lubrication cycle, why scrimp on it? It has the best filtering rating of any filter on the market. Change every 2500 miles.
from your picture their are 2 for the transmission fluid and 1 for the oil drair. What is the imag and dead cat? I am one of those idiots lol BTW changing the oil in a sporty is a lot easier.

Last edited by Siberianhusky; 03-21-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:57 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

There is only one labed for the trans. The other is a 'dummy', for dummies!? I can only guess as I don't remember why the original artist wrote it.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM
Lil Evil
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, if your want to start doing maintenance on your bike, I would suggest the Fix My Hog video series. A good DIY series to help you get started.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Siberianhusky
from your picture their are 2 for the transmission fluid and 1 for the oil drair. What is the imag and dead cat? I am one of those idiots lol BTW changing the oil in a sporty is a lot easier.
There is only one for the tranny, the other is labeled tranny decoy and is really for the primary.

The "imag" is a parenthesis around (mag plug) indicating that it is a magnetic plug, which is the plug you want to remove for draining the oil.

As for the dead cat? Use your imagination.

Attached Thumbnails Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?-drainplugsfordummies.jpg  

Last edited by soos; 03-21-2009 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:15 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Good one SOOS,
Changing the oil is a big pain in the ***..takes all day by my standards.....
I usually end up cleaning the whole bike wash, wax,leather treatment, etc for the therapy...
I only took mine to the dealer for the 1000 mile..after that manual and my garage since..

It is pretty easy to change it, but it's the afrter thoughts that hurt,"well I my as well clean it"

Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM
Hayhoss
Cruiser
Default Changing Fluids

Like everyone is saying, changing your HD's fluids is so easy. For the oil mess created when removing the oil filter, I just use a thin piece of cardboard ( just like from the back of a paper tablet ) cut to a size of 6"x11" ( a light gage piece of sheet metal would work the same). Bend to a curved shape along the center line of the 11" length and slide it right under and all the way back, under the filter. Removing the filter = NO mess what so ever, the oil runs right down the cardboard and into your drain pan. I've used this same piece since day one, just wipe it off. I use the K&N oil filter with the 17mm nut welded on the end, makes an easy job with a socket to remove the filter.
Don't let your HD stealer tell you that THEY must do your first few or any for that matter, services, to keep your warranty in effect ! That is total BS ! Again like they have said here, I make each service entry on the blank back pages of my service manual with date, milage and brief discription of what I have done and type and make of fluids and service.
Doing your own basic service; fliuds, clutch and primary chain adj.'mt, front fork oil, brake fluid changes, plugs and nut & bolt tightening is fun and a easy way to make you more familiar and bonded with your ride. And while you are putting down the road, you feel good about knowing that "YOU" are the reason that your bike is running so great! You know the old saying; " if you want it done right, do it your self" ! I have the HD extended warranty, they can fix any problems, I will do the services. I have owned all the Goldwings, and my Ultra is SO EASY to maintain compared to the GW ! Craig

Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by frankieb1963
ok lets heat it up.... don't most use the syn in all three holes?
bump???? (my answer: no syn in primary. why? not convinced it is needed, or even the best choice.)

Old 03-22-2009, 02:40 PM
tencrore
Tourer

Thanks to all of you!! Look forward to doing the oil changes now that you all have voiced your encouragement! That's what I love about this forum as well as the entire Harley Davidson community; The Support Structure that comes with owning an American Legend. Once again, Thanks!

Old 03-22-2009, 03:29 PM
ezlife
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those that never have a plst soda bottle laying around, tin foil folded a few times and then throw away when done.

Quick Reply: Changing Oil In All 3 Holes, How Difficult Is It?