Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pledge Wax..a scientific overview

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like your analysis of the Pledge ....................but I still don't plan to use it on my bike. If my wife found out I was using it she would want me to dust the house with it!!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:33 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Years ago, I used PLEDGE on a bike for the first time on my '95 FLSTC after I heard/read that it works. Now I have a better understanding of HOW/WHY.

awesome discourse...thanks for enlightening us.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 663 Likes on 413 Posts

Our07, thanks for the great report!

Old 03-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow! Gee I feel like Gilligan listening to the Professor here but thanks for the analysis and for then stating it in plain english.

I've just begun using Pledge and actually did like how it made the bike look. After reading this I feel safer in continuing it's use!

Old 03-20-2009, 04:17 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
I've never seen paintable advertised on any detailing product.
And if the detailing product is good, why would you need to paint?

Any good painter will remove all wax, oils and contaminants from the surface to be painted. This is in the surface preparation instructions on every paint can.
Well im gonna prolly find the info and prove this out to you but it used to be there ... Meguiars is where i read it... Your why would you need to paint is kind of a dumb question... What they are saying is it contains no silicone's there fore it can be painted over after proper surface preparation... I think someone pissed in your breakfast cereal today and im not gonna worry about it...
Have a nice evening..
Dave

Old 03-20-2009, 04:23 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

FYI most of the silicone free detailing products are labeled as "Body shop safe". The silicone in products can become airborne and cause fisheyes no matter how well you prepare the surface.

Old 03-20-2009, 04:34 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodsandharleys73
FYI most of the silicone free detailing products are labeled as "Body shop safe". The silicone in products can become airborne and cause fisheyes no matter how well you prepare the surface.

I knew that ... tell Mr. Happy.... I did have a bottle that said paintable on it cause i had a friend ask me what that meant so i explained .. Its prolly gone so ill have a hard time defending my self ... Oh ya another thing on my post above usually id sign it (LOVE) .. Just aint feeling it today though
Dave

Last edited by n8dc; 03-20-2009 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:10 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I'll look for the "body shop safe" silicone free, next time I'm looking for a detailing product. I seriously never have seen any mention of it.
I'd agree with not using pledge (or any product containing silicone) in a body shop environment.

Still it appears that silicone is very common in detailing products and any painter would assume that it may have been used on whatever vehicle they are working on and prep accordingly.

Dave,
I checked the Meguiar's web site, not all of their products are "body shop safe". The only product that came up as silicone free is a dressing for tires, rubber moldings etc.
Granted, I did not find a list of ingredients or MSDS info.

Old 03-20-2009, 05:15 PM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

geez...

Old 03-20-2009, 05:23 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj
I'll look for the "body shop safe" silicone free, next time I'm looking for a detailing product. I seriously never have seen any mention of it.
I'd agree with not using pledge (or any product containing silicone) in a body shop environment.

Still it appears that silicone is very common in detailing products and any painter would assume that it may have been used on whatever vehicle they are working on and prep accordingly.

Dave,
I checked the Meguiar's web site, not all of their products are "body shop safe". The only product that came up as silicone free is a dressing for tires, rubber moldings etc.
Granted, I did not find a list of ingredients or MSDS info.
You probably won't find any except at a body supply store. We don't use any tire dressing at the shop I work at, we are a body shop not a detail shop. We do use a lot of Meguirs Final Inspection as it is great for removing compound or wax caked under moldings or emblems.

Quick Reply: Pledge Wax..a scientific overview