Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Commander effects on gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:11 AM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Commander effects on gas milage

I some some experience with the PCIII on two Honda VTX 1800's I used to own. To be fair to PCIII, the people doing the tuning admitted to being beginners. On both bikes the milage was destroyed. Literally a loss of about 10 MPG. I sold the PCIII's. Now I'm interested in the PC V for my SEFB and I have dealt with Fuelmoto in the past and like them (A couple pairs of slip-ons) and would like to buy their PC V. I've been reading a lot about the PC V and frankly I have seen quite a few people complaining about the milage dropping drastically. I have to believe this is a common problem with the PC. Hoping Fuelmoto has the right combination, I would still like to know what others are experiencing. Comments please.
Gary

Old 03-20-2009, 03:53 AM
SeaHag
Road Master

The Power Commander product is nothing more than a tool. In the right hands, of a good tuner, it will make great power AND get very good gas mileage. In the hands of the typical dyno hack who tunes solely for the wide open throttle passes on the dyno, you'll often see a nice power curve at the expense of about 10mpg.

If you can't find a good tuner, take a chance and load several maps for builds similar to yours. Then take the time to read the operator manual and experiment with fine tuning your ride.

I have a SERT myself, and was able to fine tune my own bike for nice all around riding...better low speed response by far than the Harley dealer's tuner had done with it, and the gas mileage went from an average of 38mpg, to 42-45mpg. This is with a 98" fully worked motor that had dynoed at 96/105.

From what I understand [very little] of the new PC-V, they use wide band O2 sensors and can self adjust somewhat. If that is the case, a good map that is close for your mods should provide very acceptable gas mileage.

There are guys on this site making 120+hp who can get 40+mpg cruising down the highway...so if you have a more mild build and someone's telling you that you can't expect good gas mileage, they are full of ****e.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM
hogbag07
Road Captain

TTs mastertune or Sert can improve mpg

Old 03-20-2009, 05:30 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

SeaHag got it right. It's not the tuning tool you use, it's the tune or map you use that determines what your mileage will be. In the right hands, you can tune your bike for excellent power and decent fuel mileage with any good tuning tool.

P.S.- As a boy, I loved the Sea Hag character from the Popeye cartoons.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:18 AM
orthorep
Intermediate

I have the PCIII Usb on my 08 ultra classic. I have the stage one with SEAC, Rush 2.0, And the pcIII programmed from Jaime. If you stay out of the throttle, fuel milage in the 40,s. If I ride hard, fuel milage drops to 33. The bike runs much better with this setup and a few extra gallons are worth it to me for a cooler,better running bike.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My mileage actually went up after the PC V was installed, purchased pre mapped by fuel moto.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:37 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I have been through one tank since I put the pcIII on from fuel moto. I must say it runs great, but fuel mileage sucks. When I checked it, it was 30.5. Now to be fair, all of the riding was short hops around town, to the store and just quick errands. I didn't run WOT, but I haven't been babying it either. I'll wait until I get a chance to take a short trip, with some highway miles involved, to determine whether or not I want to work on a new map for better mileage.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:52 AM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

I have PCV with the Autotune modules and I'm now getting between 41 and 47 mpg depending on wind and temperature. I also have a Stage 1 103".

Old 03-20-2009, 08:15 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

to make a lean bike run better will take more fuel, i.e. less mpg. i do not like any idea or combination that piggy backs factory ecm or removes o2 sensors. there are several aftermarket ecm/o2 relacement kits avail with adaptive stratigy programing they are the way to go. when i can afford to do a progrmmer it will be of this type. they do cost more, but you will be doing it right.

Old 03-20-2009, 08:31 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On my 07 MPG went down considerably when I added the PCIII. I played with the map a little but I didn't really want to have to screw around with all that so I bought a Thundermax.
It tunes itself, every ride you take it gets better. MPG ended up about 38-40 depending on right wrist factors.
I bought a PCV for my 09 for now but will probably go to the Thundermax once it comes out.

On a side note I have a pre 08 Tmax for sale.

Quick Reply: Power Commander effects on gas milage