Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Advice On 2-UP Riding

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:52 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bob46371
2009 FLHRC

Take it easy!!! don't try to impress her with how fast you can go or how hot you can take a curve.
Can't stress this one enough, particulally if she's never ridden before. Just go SLOW ans EASY until she gets real comfortable.....you scare the crap out of her the first time, it's unlikely she'll ever get on it with you again. My wife and I spend hours and hours on the bike and both have a blast.... I am a different driver when riding 2up.

Old 03-20-2009, 01:16 PM
BUSTERK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a tank bag or belly bag. Stock it with aspirin, advil, midol[age dependent], comb, brush, spritzer water bottle, lip stick and gloss, tissues, moist towelettes, small mirror, gum, hard candy, breath mints, nail file, nail clippers, nail polish, sun screen and a bottle of water. Be prepared to hand any one or more of these items over your left shoulder with your left hand. In time you will be able to identify these items by feel so you can keep your eyes on the road. Practice saying "OK, I think there's a gas station about ten miles up the road." Learn to say this with conviction. Oh, and teach her to retrieve objects from your front pockets. Ride Safe, Doug

Old 03-20-2009, 01:46 PM
dhincc
Road Master

Make SURE the passenger only mounts and dismounts when YOU SAY SO! To prepare for the mount/dismount, spread your feet out as wide as possible, and STAND, holding the bike, with the jiffy stand down, but the bike straight up.

Now, here's where I disagree with about half of the responses. I tell my passenger to pay attention and, when approaching a curve, look over my inside shoulder, and STAY THERE. I DON'T want her sitting straight up in a curve because very few people CAN stay straight up. They either lean in or out. I don't want her leaning out, so, by keeping her head inside mine in a curve, there you go! Automatic!

Good luck and have FUN, and RIDE SAFE!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 01:58 PM
scg1953
Tourer

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
The large majority of my riding now is with my wife. She went from thinking motorcycle was a four letter word to really enjoying it. The basic rule is make sure she doesn't help, that is leaning into, or the most common for passengers is to lean against the turn to the high side. If she will act just like baggage it is better. I prop the bike up first and get braced, then she gets on...steps on the rear floor board and right into the seat. And like someone else already mentioned stopping distance does change. Smooth accleration and stops and you will have a riding partner for a long time.
+1 on this and all of the previos advice. I found it helpful when my wife started riding with me to have her put her hands on my back or shoulders and simply ask her to " do as I do " . This method trained her so well that don't really notice that much of a diff. with or without her as a passenger.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:32 PM
HogFather
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sit still and enjoy the ride and let me do all the work. Explain all their movement affects the bike movement.

Old 03-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually if she has never ridden (driven) a bike she will likely be a great passenger once you give her some of the advice noted above. I've found that riders tend to make the worst passengers....mostly because they seem to forget they are a passenger and not in control of the bike and tend to "help" you lean into a curve, etc.... A passenger should be like a piece of luggage, in a neutral position all the time....if the bike leans lean with it, but don't lean more, or fight the lean.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:41 PM
dklanecky
Tourer

Originally Posted by Jinks
If you don't already have one get either a backrest or tour pack. Keeps the passenger from fallin' off.......... Then tell her "put your back against the backrest/tour pack, & DON'T MOVE!" Don't have her lean in turns & tell her to quit moving entirely below 40 mph. She won't stick to the 40 limit, but it'll give you some slack at slow speeds where her movement will cause the most problem. If she simply becomes part of the backrest you soon won't notice anything other than her company. Have fun!
Thats what I tell all my passengers, stay neutral and you won't affect US. I also explain the fact that most newbies fail to understand, the faster we go the more stable we are, and vice versa.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BUSTERK
Get yourself a tank bag or belly bag. Stock it with aspirin, advil, midol[age dependent], comb, brush, spritzer water bottle, lip stick and gloss, tissues, moist towelettes, small mirror, gum, hard candy, breath mints, nail file, nail clippers, nail polish, sun screen and a bottle of water. Be prepared to hand any one or more of these items over your left shoulder with your left hand. In time you will be able to identify these items by feel so you can keep your eyes on the road. Practice saying "OK, I think there's a gas station about ten miles up the road." Learn to say this with conviction. Oh, and teach her to retrieve objects from your front pockets. Ride Safe, Doug
LOL Do you know my wife? You nailed the contents perfectly...

Anyway agree with what everyone has said, keep her interested and hopefully you will have some great memories on the bike!

Old 03-20-2009, 07:00 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FLTRI4ME
Having a backrest for your passenger is also a big help.This way she will not have to give you the death grip while riding.
And when going into turns,make sure she leans with you and not the oppisite way.
+1 on the backrest for your new passenger. She'll appreciate it, and it's much safer for her. All the other info is good too.... Just don't scare her on that first few rides...

Old 03-21-2009, 11:49 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior

When the Mrs gets on mine I have to adjust the rear shocks, it helps with a better ride. She does real well riding and I enjoy her being there. Sometimes I get a different passanger that is always good.

Its nice to get in between a different pair of legs.

Quick Reply: Need Some Advice On 2-UP Riding