Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:19 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Anyone been there the end of June and if so I would be interested to know if you needed leather up in the higher altitudes during that time of the season?
we went in late July early August. we got rained on and it was cool that day, don't remember needing leathers any other time. I would take them anyway. One ride I really enjoyed: (i'm too lazy to get up and get an atlas and I don't remember the hwy #s) we took off of s.h. 441 at the tourist info/rest area, south of Gatlinburg, and ran west to Maryville. Most of the ride was along a river. folks were out floating on inner tubes and swimming. I like riding along side water, so I really enjoyed it. the "dragon" was o.k., but we have roads like that all over the Ozarks, to it didn't live up to its hype as far as I am concerned, still glad I did it though. It was a great trip over all.......have fun!

Last edited by mike5511; 05-03-2009 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

when we went with the kids it was the week before memorial day. and weather a low level was good tshirt weather sweatshirt. Weather up at top of NewFound gap at the NC line in the mountians was cold as hell saw lot of bikers putting on gear. WAs also very cold at the overlook on the dragon that over looks the Fontana dam.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:41 AM
StonerGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Ironhorse Lodge Capt, John and Charlene (the owners) are great folks and ride themselves. Unless you just like staying in the tourist trap scene do yourself a favor and stay well outside them and ride in for a visit and to see the sites then ride back out to the boonies and relax. Caution if you like to imbibde a bit Ironhorse is in a dry county so you have to stop and stock up on the way in for the evening.
We usually get one of the cabins or tow the camper up if staying longer and use this place as a home base. they serve a hearty breakfast and good dinners if you dont feel like riding out to eat.
Do the Dragon so you can say you did and get a helmet sticker or t-shirt but otherwise ride the other roads in the area they are much better IMHO (only two hours from my N GA home so we get up there alot. Dragon is short, twisty, packed with sport bikes and LEO's that time of year). Cherohala and BRP are much better ride for cruisers. Take leathers (optional) and certainly rain gear as the higer elevations can get above 5,000 feet and can get really cold if weather is bad, and it will most likely rain a little now and then in your time frame but usually not for long so you can find some cover and wait it out (summer downpours in the area can be intense that time of year).
Have fun and enjoy but dont' try to see it all in one trip, once you come on down you will most likely make it a regualr destination.