Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:39 AM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I stayed in Gatlinburg just at the foot of the mountians, I would go back there in a heart beat. I can only say enjoy yourself, I will be going back myself.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by MassHD
They did move. I tried to get there last year but missed it. The other place I've been is Helen GA. It's like you are going back in time to old Germany. Check it out you won't be sorry.
Wheels Through Time has not moved yet and is still open. My best friend lives in Maggie Valley and I just asked him yesterday about the museum. He said it is still there and he sees visitors going in and out every day.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Ohio HD Guy
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would suggest staying somewhere else besides the Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg area...the TRAFFIC sucks and you'll be sitting on your scoot for a long time. Try the maryville or Knoxville area....there is still great access to the Dragon and Parkways.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:10 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

If you do wind up riding 441 thru Gattlinburg toward Cherokee, you need to take the road up to Clingman's Dome...AWESOME!

Old 03-22-2009, 09:40 AM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Either side of Smokies is great. Depends what you want, but most of the "famous" rides are on the south side...I've been going up to that area for a while and only a few times make a reservation...never had a problem for lodging....I'm sure the locals on here from the area will chime in...3-4 not recommended...extend it to 3-4 months...ENJOY.............

Old 03-22-2009, 09:56 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 309 Likes on 200 Posts

Lots of good places to stay...
One of our favorite places to eat is The Apple Wood Restaurant....great food, good price...crowded but worth the wait....

Old 03-26-2009, 06:30 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper
Lots of good places to stay...
One of our favorite places to eat is The Apple Wood Restaurant....great food, good price...crowded but worth the wait....

All the suggestions have been GREAT! Thanks to all. It's going to be a LOOOOOOOONG wait till July. We're still debating about where to stay. I have reservations in both Pigeon Forge and Maggie Valley right not. Once we make a final decision we'll cancel one of them.

Where is the Apple Wood Restaurant? I'm always up for good food.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Stay in Maggie Valley. Every thing you wanna see (east, west, north and south) is a day ride from there. I was at the Builtmore house last week. Whata a place.....

Trucky911

Old 03-26-2009, 08:19 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not gonna read all the other posts to see if anyone mentions the IronHorse Lodge in Stecoa(sp?) NC. Real nice folks, good atmosphere, all bikes(any make), good food and very reasonable prices. It will put you smack in the middle of all those places you mentioned. We went twice last year and the wife will probably make reservations a few times this year as well...and we live just two hours from there...

Old 03-26-2009, 08:29 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

pidgeon forge waas traffic hell but gatlinburg wasnt too bad for me just in the small downtown. if u must do the dragon go on a weekday early in the am less cops sportscars and crotch rockets.and leo is evrywhere on the dragon do NOT CROSS CENTERLINE OR SPEED EVN A LITTLE.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?