Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by capt_caveman
We are planning a trip down to the Smokey Mountains in July.

I am open to suggestions and recommendations of other 'must do' or 'really cool' ideas in the area. Rides to take, things to see, places to eat, etc?

Thanks in advance
Steve
http://www.bluewatersmtnl.com/

Try staying at Blue Waters Mountain Lodge. Can't beat it. Very quiet, clean and the food is great (B&B). Sits right on a huge lake. The people that run it are great hosts. It's not a campground so be prepared for the price difference. Easy access on/off the Dragon as well as the Cherohala Skyway and to town (Robbinsville) for misc shopping or other restaurants.

Also, the rest of the advice given was good. I would add though that you must do Mt. Mitchell and also Grandfather Mountain. Grandfather will test your nerves more than the Tail.

Enjoy.

Old 03-20-2009, 06:24 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Agreed on passing on Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg area unless you are really into T-Shirts shops and ice cream. The Cherohala skyway was our favorite last year, less traffic and quite the view. There is a great little inn on the Cherohala just outside Robbinsville called the Blue Boar Inn, super dinner and breakfast very relaxing, but early reservations would probably be a must. It was kind of pricey but for a night or two it is worth it. The only caution is the road leading up the the inn requires some really good dirt riding skills, I mean standing on the pegs kind of riding.
We rented a cabin just outside of Sevierville for a couple of nights, not really any more expensive than the Hampton Inn, but with a hot tub on the back porch, kitchen and lots of room. Worth looking into. I saw someone did a post about having a cabin in that area, it may be the same area.

Last edited by harleyflyboy; 03-20-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Default nice mom-n-pops style place

Check out the Travelowes motel in Maggie Valley: http://www.travelowes.com/ Owned and Operated by Scott & Dorene Pauley, a super nice, top shelf couple. This is a clean place and you can park in front of your room. It is biker friendly and they will let you park under the covered area if'n that is one of your requirements. Although it is not a Marriott in quality, it is certainly not one of those "Jungle Jim's Adobe Huts" either! We stayed there last year and they sold some waterproof maps of great roads to ride.

As a suggestion if you ride the Cherahala, at the West end hang a left (South) on route 68 and go to US 64 & 74 to work your way back to Maggie Valley.

The only bad thing about the whole area is it is just too dang far from where I live!!!

Old 03-20-2009, 08:47 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You are going to have a blast! We went there a few years ago and did the Biltmore House, Rode the blue ridge parkway, Gatlinburg, Pigeon forge, hiked in the mountains, horse back ride in the mountains. We really enjoyed it and will be going back.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:04 AM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW! I alot of people have mentioned Maggie Valley but nobody has brought up
Wheels Through Time. It is an amazing place of motorcycle history that you could spend many hours at. They have stuff harley wishes they had. Try to get one of the workers to walk you through the history of how they came across this stuff is amazing. It is a must stop if you are in the area and you like Motor Cycles. No I do not work there.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
TRUBRIT
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wheels thru time

I believe they moved to Arizona or somewhere. At least that is where they told us they were moving to last year when we were there. Bald River Falls off the Skyway is worth the stop. 100' drop. If you are camping, try the Kickstand Lodge. http://www.kickstandlodge.com
Central to everything, on the south side of the Park. Ride through Highlands and Cashiers is also nice. Blood Mtn. is another area of great rides, near Helen.
In 29 days we will be heading up from Florida again, not that I am counting or eager......

Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?-100_2209.jpg   Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?-cimg0532.jpg  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM
MassHD
Road Warrior

They did move. I tried to get there last year but missed it. The other place I've been is Helen GA. It's like you are going back in time to old Germany. Check it out you won't be sorry.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Kostus
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge

I have been going there for 30 years or so. There is not enough money to PAY me to go in July/August. TOO many people, stop and go traffic/HOT. No escaping the tourists. Late April/May or Sept/Oct.

Old 03-20-2009, 07:24 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

Thanks to everyone for your tips and suggestions so far. There is a lot of great information that we will look into and consider.

Unfortunately, July will be the only time we can both get a week off for travel so regardless of heat and crowds .... July it will be .... I'm looking forward to it but I also know there will be many more ideas than we will have time for.

Thanks again and keep those cards and letters coming in. :-)

Old 03-20-2009, 09:58 PM
NavyPT
Road Master

Highly recommend the Johnathon Creek Inn at Maggie Valley. Great ownership in a fantastic location that will get you to any of your must see destinations around the Smokies.

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?