Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 08:46 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you like riding parade style in a parking lot stay away from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. That is unless you enjoy crowds and tourist traps. Many great roads in east Tennessee and western NC. Check out Hwy 74, Waynesville thru Murphy, NC into eastern Ga. runs by the river where they held parts of the Atlanta summer Olympics, a great ride. Return Hwy 64 from Murphy to Franklin. You may want to check a map for hwys 28, 129, 276, 63 from Asheville to Hot Springs, NC return via hwy 70. Hwy 221 from Marion, NC into Virginia is a great ride; takes you by Fox Creek Leather's store and Christmas tree country of NC. There are many great roads; hope you find your share!

Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?-100_1233.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 08:47 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Roughly,judging from your agenda,I would suggest maybe Cherokee,Bristol or Robbinsville NC...have fun...:>)

Old 03-19-2009, 08:54 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by mhud
Unless you like riding parade style in a parking lot stay away from Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. That is unless you enjoy crowds and tourist traps. Many great roads in east Tennessee and western NC. Check out Hwy 74, Waynesville thru Murphy, NC into eastern Ga. runs by the river where they held parts of the Atlanta summer Olympics, a great ride. Return Hwy 64 from Murphy to Franklin. You may want to check a map for hwys 28, 129, 276, 63 from Asheville to Hot Springs, NC return via hwy 70. Hwy 221 from Marion, NC into Virginia is a great ride; takes you by Fox Creek Leather's store and Christmas tree country of NC. There are many great roads; hope you find your share!
Actually,the route out of Murphy NC,West on 74/64,which takes you through the Ocoee river gorge, where the 1996/Atlanta Olympics Whitewater events were held,is in E TN...not GA....about 15 miles from my home...otherwise,good advice...:>)

Old 03-19-2009, 08:55 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We have a log cabin in Sevierville. Its about 5 miles out and very secluded. Asphalt drive way, with parking for bike trailers. We built it 3 years ago. We have it as a nightly rental. I am leaving in the morning actually to the cabin. We have been going to the Smokies for 20 years and never tire of it. We are there 8-10 times a year. All of the traffic is in town or at Cades Cove. This year the National Park is celabrating its 75th year. If any of you have never visited your realllllly missing out. The Dragon is blah...Yea go do it once or twice then ride the Cherohala, then visit Cosby, Dandridge, the Blue ridge Pkwy, 441 to Cherokee, I40 from Sevierville TN to Ashville NC, the Biltmore House in Ashville is a place to see, it's a little larger than our cabin. Roaring Fork Motor trail out of Gatlinburg, Hot Springs, Car shows, Bluegrass concerts, Floyde Garrets muscle car Museum, Need I go on ???? You'll hate the place, LOL.

Last edited by timberland; 03-19-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out Bryson City. There are several 1950's style motels in town that are nothing fancy but clean and cheap. We've stayed at the Rosewood Inn several times, nice owner who is biker friendly. Rocking chairs on the porch in front of your room. Restaurants within walking distance so you can have a beer with dinner and not worry about driving. There are several major chain hotels in town as well. Bryson City is between Maggie Valley and the area of the Dragon.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:15 PM
EriCal
Cruiser

Be cautious of very agressive law enforcement on the Dragon's tail. There is (was) a web site for the Dragon. Visit that before you ride it.
There is also a Muscle Car Museum, in Pigeion Forge, (I think). I enjoyed it very much and recommend it. There is also the Tennessee Museum of Aviation - War Bird Museum at one of the airports in same the area. It is also very worth while.

If you are of a mind, also visit the Biltmore Estate outside of Ashville. It is breathtaking.

Find a friend to take you boating on some of the rivers and lakes.

Gatlinburg is fun, tho busy. Many fine resturants.

Have a great time.

Eric

Attached Thumbnails Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?-eric.jpg  
Old 03-19-2009, 09:21 PM
hittman
Cruiser

We stayed at the Ironhorse last spring, This is a good place, they cater to bikers. And there in the heart of good riding. Check'em out.

http://ironhorsenc.com/

Old 03-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Avmech97
Road Master
Thumbs up

Little River Road in the Smoky Mtn. Park is a good ride too! Also check out the Tennessee Overhill area,there are several good rides there and less traffic too!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:06 AM
stevepacman
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Going up again in May. All those listed are great roads. Another nice ride is to Hot Springs, NC off I-40 west of Asheville.

If you do Blue Ridge Pkwy, check out "Town Mountain Road" from Asheville to the pkwy

Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I love the Gatlinburg area and, "tourist trap" or not, you owe yourself a visit. Yes, it can get crowded, but there's a reason for that. There's plenty to do with lots of great restaurants and cool attractions to visit including Floyd Garrett's Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville.

http://musclecarmuseum.com/

Quick Reply: Recommendations for Smokey Mtns area?