Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RKC Handlebar/Cable changeout - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
King Rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RKC Handlebar/Cable changeout - HELP

I have an 06 RK Classic and purchased the Wild 1 508 handlebars. I am planning on installing the handlebars and, while I have everything off of the bars, installing new "chrome" cables (throttle and brake).

I spoke to a dealer and they wanted almost $600 to do the install. I'd rather keep the $600 for more accessories.

Anyway, I plan on doing the changeout myself (I repair small engines on the side) and feel I can do it. As with my side business, I know there are some "short cuts" and "pitfalls." I would appreciate any tips on getting this done.

Some of the things I came across:
- The new throttle cables should be longer (+4")
- The internal wiring doesn't have to be extended
- Need to install a one-piece top clamp

I am a little concerned with cruise control wiring/setup. Also, will the front brake line need to be extended?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

John....

Old 04-28-2006, 12:17 PM
navyman
Road Master
Default RE: RKC Handlebar/Cable changeout - HELP

I can't help, but you might look at the DIY foum here. I think there is a step-by-step on changing bars.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Inforit
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This link might help you on changing your bars.

Good luck

Old 04-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Bill918
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did the same bars and cables on my RK Standard this winter. Wild 1 recommends you use a 1 piece bar clamp, so I did. The HD part was about 15 bucks. I would make sure you have a service manual and parts manual, makes it all alot easier. If you take apart he throttle grip, pay special attention to putting a cardboard shim in the brake lever or you risk damaging the brake switch, which sucks. When you do the clutch cable, grease the three bearings before putting them on the ramps, this will keep them in place during assembly. You do not have to completely remove the gas tank to do the throttle cables. Loosen the mounts and shim the tank up with some soft wood, so as not to scratch the paint. I was able to raise the tank about 3", which gave me plenty of room to do the cables. The only other tip I can give you is to pop off a bunch of digital pics before you start, in case you get confused with cable routing, etc. Doing the wiring inside the bars was alot easier than I thought, don't worry about that. I went 2" over on my throttle and brake cables and 3" over on my clutch, because thats all I could get. Probably would be better off with 2" over on the clutch, but the slack was easy to loose. Good Luck.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:51 PM
King Rider
Cruiser

Bill918,

Thanks very much for the feedback. Did you have to remove your right exhaust pipe to install the clutch cable?

John....

Old 04-28-2006, 05:44 PM
jarman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bolt your handle bars up loosley and use weed eater string and tape to map out how long your cables need to be. If you buy an aftermarket clutch cable make sure to find out if the length specified is with the tension adjustment in or not, because when you run the adjustment out it will increase the lenght of your cable housing by about an inch.