Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BAL-1 Bright @ss Tailights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 09:57 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 856 Likes on 297 Posts
Default BAL-1 Bright @ss Tailights

I went ahead and ordered one after some folks were chatting about the BAL-1 several weeks ago. I have read one to many rear end accidents on this site and wanted some brighter LEDs on the back the "*****".

I will admit the $200 entry price makes you think about whether you really want one or not.... But as pointed out if it helps people see you most of the time it is probably worth the coin and decided I wanted one. .....The unit features a 5 year warranty.

The install was straight forward, remove the old light unplug it, save the screws. The new light comes complete and is plug and play. No load balancer needed. The gasket that comes with the BAL-1 was different then what came on the 2008 I have. But you simply place the gasket in the in the chrome housing on the bike and then place the lense on top and it fits and works. Push hard on the lense and screw it snug.

The brightness level can be adjusted with 3 running light brightness levels. For stop operation there is more then 16 patterns you can choose. Quite frankly many of these extra parade options would definately get you pulled over, or people will pull over for you........LOLs They are said to be parade mode and I am thinking yep definately illegal for joe blow to use on the road. Really its just as bright with flash intensity as you would see on a LEO ride with strobes blazing in parade mode.

Even a couple of the flash mode options pre blink and then go solid bright you might set it for, may make a driver think for a second they are getting busted when you hit your brakes and they pre flash and go solid. Yes, there is a reason they coined these Bright @ss lights. They are exactly that. There will be no dissapointment there as you wake an idiot on a cell phone activating your brakes. If they cannot see the BAL they will not see anything anyway! And no light can help you with this particular idiot behind the wheel. That said, I think it will help a good many blind drivers suddenly see you.

The kit comes with a round magnet. You hold it on a specific location on the light and it will advance through the modes with each touch of the magnet. One you have the light and instructions it is pretty straightforward on the mode setup. Though I had to play with it a bit to figure out what I actually wanted it to do and pick a setting.

Would I buy it again? The answer is I would. I still think it is a bit pricey could be a better value, but I think its worth what it brings to the table for safety, plug and play, and overall performance, easy to use with the modes with a touch of the magnet without taking anything apart etc......

If anyone else is running a BAL I am curious what settings you settled on.

http://www.brightasslights.com/site/...ypage.tpl.html

Last edited by Donnylee; 03-18-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:03 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

do these play well with the TSSM?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:23 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OG1
This light has no bearing on TSSM! It's a plug and play option that doesn't require a load equalizer either. I really like Mine!

Mine is on #5! Gets people attention for sure!

I also have the Badlands Illuminator Load equalizer to turn My rear turn signals into running/brake light with custom dynamics LEDS! This combo with the BAL and CD LEDs work awesomely!

Ride safe, Mike

Old 03-18-2009, 10:26 PM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

Yes. This is not a hodge podge of LEDs and load balancers. It is well desighned and thought out. I think they supply to law enforcement as well.

Originally Posted by OG1

Old 03-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ..

We'll be havin' words ******, if I get my eyeballs singed riding behind ya.
Of course you'd have to get by me on The *****, so that'll probably not happen anytime soon.

CN

Old 03-19-2009, 12:13 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Gonna post any pics or videos of the *****, post install?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

I will work on that.

Originally Posted by karz10
Gonna post any pics or videos of the *****, post install?

Old 03-19-2009, 10:51 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

LOL's I can dim it down with a suplied magnet just for you!

Originally Posted by Comfortably Numb
We'll be havin' words ******, if I get my eyeballs singed riding behind ya.
Of course you'd have to get by me on The *****, so that'll probably not happen anytime soon.

CN

Old 03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Rick14221
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put one of these on my Fatboy last night. 5 minute install. Looks awesome and very bright. I set it up so the brake light flashes 3 times when you apply the brake. Hard to imagine anyone not seeing me now. I am also waiting for the headlight modulator

Old 03-19-2009, 01:07 PM
RDM
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For you guys that have installed one of these - how was the fit compared to the original stock lense? I put one of these on my FLHX and it didn't fit as well as the stock one. It fit nicely on one side but about half way across the top and down the other side was a fairly substantial ridge. They tell me this is an oem lense but it sure didn't fit like one. Maybe I just got a bad one.

Did you notice any difference in fit?

Quick Reply: BAL-1 Bright @ss Tailights