Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the most scenic route from Milwaukee to Sturgis?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 04:44 AM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the most scenic route from Milwaukee to Sturgis?

Going to do Sturgis for the first time during my R&R in August (currently in Iraq).

Taking the '09 SG the entire way with my wife and was looking for some input on a nice scenic route to take. I don't want to take the highway all the way in to Sturgis and don't mind spreading out the drive to Sturgis from Milwaukee over a 3 day period. I'd like to hit up some nice sites and scenic roads on the way in and then plan on spending another 3-4 days in the Sturgis/SD area. We are going to be staying at the rushnomore campground.

I'm all ears (or should I say eye's)...

Thanks.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:20 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the best scenery can be found in your own state where it borders Northeastern Iowa at Prairie du Chein. I have taken that route a couple of times to and from Milwaukee from Missouri going up the Great River Road in Iowa to get to Prairie du Chein. If your coming from Milwaukee, taking highway 18 out of Madison to Prairie du Chein I think is a beautiful ride. From there across Iowa I'm not sure. As far as riding across South Dakota on I-90. The first part of the trip is not very scenic but as you go west the terrain becomes more scenic once you get to the Missouri river. There are some beautiful bluffs there and the rest of the way you will start seeing a change in the geography of the land. Some folks living in South Dakota can probably be more helpful but I didn't mind the ride across I-90.

Old 03-18-2009, 05:27 AM
sd2003hd
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wisconsin to Sturgis

Living in Southern Wisconsin I have driven the superslab many times, but it does get boring. If you can take your time, I like taking Highway 14. From Milwaukee, take 94 west to Madison, take 90 east about 3 miles and take 12/18 west around Madison. Highway 14 merges with 12/18, just follow it west. You can stay in small town motels along the way, I have never made reservations or stay in campgrounds. I would fill up every 100 miles or so, there are a couple of stretches that gas stations may be closed depending on the time of day you are riding. Have fun and be safe. We all want you home in good health and spirit.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Keystone
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You can also take old 16 across. Look in the SE corner of MN. You will see 16. Follow that all the way into SD.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:49 AM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you head to the Missisippi, I would cross at Prarie Du Chein or Dubuque into Iowa and head up into Minn on the great river road and hit I-90 at La Cresant W.I. until Souix Falls then jog down to hwy 18 which runs through So S.D. which is 2 lane and runs through grass and farm lands as well as passing through the Pine Ridge Indian reservation and if you want the south entrance to the Bad Lands is a little to the north. Lots of small towns and nice people.
WUZFUZ