Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone lost a valve core out of stem?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 PM
rlb5857
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone lost a valve core out of stem?

My friend had new tires installed on Saturday by a very good indy, was riding today at high speed I should say in excess of 95 miles per hour, when he lost the valve stem cover (plastic bullet shaped cover) and the valve core out of the rear tire. He had just been to the local dealer for some shopping, only a couple of customers in the dealership, he got about 3-4 miles down the interstate when the tire went flat and the back end went wobbly. He was sucessful in coming to a safe stop. I personally have never heard of a valve core coming out before, I think someone screwed with his bike, any opinions out there?

Old 03-17-2009, 10:37 PM
Domestic Violence
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 30 Posts

the valves are threaded and screw into the valve. either someone dicked with his valve stem OR when the tires were installed, the mechanic failed to screw the valve tight. ive never heard (or seen) anyone ever losing the valve

Old 03-17-2009, 10:41 PM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 1,030 Posts

no flame intended but if he is gonna run those speeds he might want to check things more closely himself! never seen one come out of a valve stem... lost plenty of caps though, most of em grew legs!!!

Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 PM
gregm
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Has anyone lost a valve core out of stem?

I had the front tire valve stem come within 1/8 of a turn of coming completely out. It was on the original tire and after about 20,000 miles. I had installed "Accu-Pressure" pressure indicating valve caps, the pressure indicating part flew off and the valve stem had unscrewed allowing the air to leak out. I'm sure it was unrelated but if I had a standard cap on it the air would not have leaked out as fast. I strongly do not recommend Accu-Pressure pressure indicating valve caps, as 4 of 6 installed caps failed and the company didn't seem to care about the possible consequences when I contacted them.
Gregm

Old 03-18-2009, 07:26 AM
rlb5857
Cruiser

I'm more convinced that someone screwed with him, Thanks for your input!

Old 03-18-2009, 07:37 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About a year ago or maybe even longer this came up as a guy just had a new or 2 new tires put on and one of the valfe cores came out .. If they arent tight i guess why couldnt it happen? And also if they forget to put the cap on then it can come all the way out easier than if the cap is in place

Old 03-18-2009, 07:38 AM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never heard of that happening but the important thing is your Buddy is ok.

Old 03-18-2009, 03:04 PM
BARTMAN57
Cruiser

Originally Posted by rlb5857
My friend had new tires installed on Saturday by a very good indy, was riding today at high speed I should say in excess of 95 miles per hour, when he lost the valve stem cover (plastic bullet shaped cover) and the valve core out of the rear tire. He had just been to the local dealer for some shopping, only a couple of customers in the dealership, he got about 3-4 miles down the interstate when the tire went flat and the back end went wobbly. He was sucessful in coming to a safe stop. I personally have never heard of a valve core coming out before, I think someone screwed with his bike, any opinions out there?
Had similar thing happen to me , just not after new tire install. At Sturgis two years ago Bought these cool looking (bullet) valve stem covers had nice rubber seal inside. went for ride later that day noticed soft feeling in rear tire stopped and tire was near flat. took cap off to put more air in and stem shot out. put stem back in air tire then noticed marks on my nice new cover, checked and could see where it was hitting brake caliper. Rubber seal set to far down on stem and spun thing right out. Might be something to check .

Old 03-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Saved Sinner
Advanced

Friend of mine had same thing happen a couple years ago. He was running probably 70-75 with his wife on with him, pulling a Bushtec trailer and the valve stem came out of his rear tire. He was able to get it slowed and off the road without a crash. Had just had a new tire put on. Thinks the guy didn't get the stem tight.