Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polishing Chrome with High-Speed Pad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009 | 09:30 PM
gliderman
|
Road Captain
Default Polishing Chrome with High-Speed Pad?

Anyone polished chrome wheels using a polishing pad attached to a drill or dremel tool?
I've got some H-D wheels that are part chrome and part textured surface and was wonderiing if using a high speed method would bring out the shine on the chrome anymore than it came from the factory or by doing it by hand. Could it damage the chrome surface? Thanks for any info..........

Old 03-17-2009 | 10:04 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member

Is it cloudy? Pitted?
Chrome is just one of those things that once it goes bad there isn't much you can do.
You can try it and see what happens, sorry can't give you a better answer.
Good luck

Old 03-17-2009 | 11:00 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by gliderman
Anyone polished chrome wheels using a polishing pad attached to a drill or dremel tool?
I've got some H-D wheels that are part chrome and part textured surface and was wonderiing if using a high speed method would bring out the shine on the chrome anymore than it came from the factory or by doing it by hand. Could it damage the chrome surface? Thanks for any info..........
This is what I have:
http://www.flitz.com/p-45-motorcycle-detailing-kit.aspx.

Old 03-17-2009 | 11:05 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior

been thinking of trying this myself. knew about Mother's Powerball but not FLITZ..thanks for the link CHGO5OH

Old 03-17-2009 | 11:45 PM
CHGO5OH
Tourer

Originally Posted by kromdom
been thinking of trying this myself. knew about Mother's Powerball but not FLITZ..thanks for the link CHGO5OH
No problem. This stuff is great! You can pick that stuff up at Walgreens. I have used it to polish my stainless steel .45 Cal and man did it turn out great. I think the Flitz guy said you can even use it on the paint to take away the swirl marks. Dont quote me on that. I would call them.

Old 03-18-2009 | 12:02 AM
gliderman
|
Road Captain

The wheels are actually brand new from H-D. It looks like they polished the rear wheel to a higher shine than the front, so the chrome is in perfect shape. I just want a higher luster on the wheels and doing it by hand doesn't seem to give it any more depth or shine....

Old 03-18-2009 | 12:18 AM
PaFatboy
Tourer

Dude:
You can't polish chrome. The aluminum wheel is polished, plated in copper, plated in nickel, then put in the chrome tank. Chrome is actually clear, the shine is the nickel under the clear chrome. I have HD wheels, chrome is good on them except a stone nick here and there.

Old 03-18-2009 | 01:36 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Yea, I would not use a power buffer on chrome. If one of your wheels seems to be polished to a higher luster it is likely under the chrome.

Old 03-18-2009 | 07:57 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member

didnt know that chrome is actually clear...

Old 03-18-2009 | 08:11 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by PaFatboy
Dude:
You can't polish chrome. The aluminum wheel is polished, plated in copper, plated in nickel, then put in the chrome tank. Chrome is actually clear, the shine is the nickel under the clear chrome. I have HD wheels, chrome is good on them except a stone nick here and there.
+1....

Quick Reply: Polishing Chrome with High-Speed Pad?