Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driving Lights Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 09:00 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving Lights Question

I am wondering if I would have any issues with running 100w bulbs instead of the stock 35w bulbs in my driving lights?? Anyone out there made the switch?

Bob

Old 04-27-2006, 09:52 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Driving Lights Question

Don't know how high you can go before you melt the reflector, This is a problem on cars as well, the standard is 55W and everyone wants to go higher, some end up melting the what looks like metal but it's plastic reflector.

Note I don't know if it's really plastic on the HD, just a guess.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:10 PM
fatguyona1000
Road Captain

Don't go with the 100w. Spend the money and get the good bulbs that are the same wattage but put out light like a 100w.

Bay13 is right. Learned that lesson the hard way on my sportbike.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Ok, ok, I will take them back out tomorrow!!!!

Thanks Guys.

Bob

Old 04-27-2006, 10:21 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And, if you did go to lamps that actually consumed 100 watts each that would mean the total wattage the wiring has to support is 200 watts vice 70 watts in the stock configuration. At best with metal reflectors with silver coatings your stock wiring would have to have a a relay installed to keep the wires from melting down with the true 100 watt a peice bulbs.

Not worth it.

Try the PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow Bulbs - H3 - 13556 - pair rated at 55 watts which appear to shine like 85 watts. Or go the Sylviana SilverStars they put out a ton of white light, they out shine my HID headlamp on high and low beams combined. I'm actually concidering changing to the PIAA's to allow me to keep from buring the grass on the sides of the road. No, actually to keep glare down the SilverStars are just that darn bright.

Old 04-27-2006, 10:29 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've heard that going above the 55W PIAA will cause a melt down. But I don't know anyone that has used more than the 55W PIAA.

Here's what I did:
I ride at 4AM near Park City, UT. Lot's of deer. I hit a deer last July at 9AM in broad daylight so you can understand my concern at 4AM.

I started out by replacing the headlight with HD's Dual Beam P/N 67864-04. To further improve the lighting I replaced the low beam bulb with PIAA's H11 55W. I also changed the wiring on my passing lamps to keep them on when I have my High Beam On.

I later decided to replace the Dual Beam with HD's HID P/N 68094-06. Since I did this during the winter shutdown I'm having a hard time justifying the $400 for the HID. Mainly because I can't remember how good the Dual Beam was (in November). I shortened the adjustment spring on the top to get more height. As you know HID's have a flat beam. As such if it isn't raised the oncoming traffic might not see it at all. Scary! Don't get me wrong, the HID puts out plenty of light but insufficient by it's self and I'm just not sure how much better it is than the Dual Beam with the PIAA. All of this about the HID may be academic as Harley is discontinuing the HID due to poor sales. Both the Dual Beam and the HID use similar lenses and disperse a wide beam with separate H8 high beam that shoots up the road.

The 05 Ultra had crappy passing lamps so I replaced them with HD P/N 68208-98A Halogen's. I tossed the bulbs and replaced them with PIAA Ion Crystal Yellow Bulbs 55W - H3 - 13556. Got these on eBay for $44.99 delivered. I could have gone to a higher wattage bulb but I have concerns about heat dissipation. The Yellow is great in that it illuminates and reduces glare from the road signs. They also are more noticeable in the daytime by oncoming traffic.

I am very pleased with my current setup. I'm just not sure that how much the HID improves the Dual Beam. I do know that I will no longer even consider riding in the day time without my passing lamps on because I'm afraid the HID my not be visible. I haven't had it on the road enough to get any feedback other than oncoming traffic constantly flashes their high beam at me when I am only running my HID and passing lamps.

Old 04-28-2006, 08:36 AM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Zubaugh

Thanks for all the info. I like the idea of the dual bulb head lamp too.

Bob

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 AM
joeschmoe
Road Captain

If you really want to add some light to your driving add a set of Motolights w/ 55 watt halogens!!![sm=goodidea.gif] Motolights

Get the dual caliper set up and install them....They are twice as bright as the stock Road Glide lights and traffic sees you from a good ways away!!!![sm=icon_cheers.gif]