Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Horn, Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM
2d3k2h
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Guys...Don't have 2 spend a bunch got a Steibel air horn pulled compessor off horn and mounted under harey air- wing cover...might even fit under stock cover.Run hose and brass fittings under tank,wire to battry.......Air Horn for under 80.00 plus some time.125 DB and they still want to come over in my lane....its Loud and still you need to lookout.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:13 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey 103 Eagle, very nice input. I appreciate the dremel tool approach to modify, and the link. I never realized there was so much going on with air horns.

Last edited by bigskyhd; 04-05-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:35 PM
rhaneski
Cruiser

I had the mini beast on my Heritage and it was pretty loud. Im saving to get one on the Ultra.
The stock horn just isnt loud enough.

Old 03-28-2009, 01:51 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Stebel for me...loud as hell.paid around $35 bucks for mine..nothing to look at but I didnt buy it to look at...scares the **** outta anyone close by...once had a female on her cell start out in front of me...one long blast and she was in the wrong lane meeting a pickup truck head on...laughed so hard I almost wrecked..seriously thinking of mounting a second horn and wire them in series with a couple second delay between them....:>)

Last edited by ko4qc; 03-28-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:03 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The CVO was nicely detailed but no pics, has someone or will someone take pics of the procedure of the bellow and the compressor separated and installed for us to see? Nevermind Thanks Dawg you already took care of that. Thanks again.

Last edited by phat96; 03-29-2009 at 11:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM
joes01roadking
Stage II

I also have the howard horns dynamic duo horns on my 2001 road king. They are beautiful looking and VERY loud. The installation was not difficult but It was time consuming. Notes from my installation:

Missing one stainless nut fortunately I had some.
My bike has the choke (enricher) and it was too tight a pull to get it into the slots on the new provided bracket. I ended up just zip tying it to the bracket on the back side. Not the best solution but I don't use the choke often enough to make a bracket.
This is not a plug and play horn. I am not a mechanic and the instructions were pretty straight forward so my only comment was it took me probably 2 or 3 hours to put the horns on and do the wiring, more then half that time was running the wires to the provided relay that I mounted under the seat.

Seems to be a quality product, the optional end caps were the only part I felt were cheaply made, however they do look nice. I'm not sure if I need them but I read some reviews that the horns get crap in them and stop working so I bought them when I bought the horn. I do like that the horns have 5 screws on the back side so you can clean the inside working components if need be although I haven't tried to do so yet.

Some people posted the people at howards horns were jerks, I called them about the choke and ended up asking lots of questions and the guy I spoke with was professional and friendly.

They didn't include a fuse with the relay, I didn't expect them to include the wiring and I had bought some 14 gauge wire and connectors to get the job done, but they should have included or mentioned in the instructions to add a fuse. To me this just makes common sense. I installed a 30 amp fuse at the battery post.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:00 AM
joes01roadking
Stage II

I also have the howard horns dynamic duo horns on my 2001 road king. They are beautiful looking and VERY loud. The installation was not difficult but It was time consuming. Notes from my installation:

Missing one stainless nut fortunately I had some.
My bike has the choke (enricher) and it was too tight a pull to get it into the slots on the new provided bracket. I ended up just zip tying it to the bracket on the back side. Not the best solution but I don't use the choke often enough to make a bracket.
This is not a plug and play horn. I am not a mechanic and the instructions were pretty straight forward so my only comment was it took me probably 2 or 3 hours to put the horns on and do the wiring, more then half that time was running the wires to the provided relay that I mounted under the seat.

Seems to be a quality product, the optional end caps were the only part I felt were cheaply made, however they do look nice. I'm not sure if I need them but I read some reviews that the horns get crap in them and stop working so I bought them when I bought the horn. I do like that the horns have 5 screws on the back side so you can clean the inside working components if need be although I haven't tried to do so yet.

Some people posted the people at howards horns were jerks, I called them about the choke and ended up asking lots of questions and the guy I spoke with was professional and friendly.

They didn't include a fuse with the relay, I didn't expect them to include the wiring and I had bought some 14 gauge wire and connectors to get the job done, but they should have included or mentioned in the instructions to add a fuse. To me this just makes common sense. I installed a 30 amp fuse at the battery post.

Old 04-05-2009, 04:44 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I got to put my mini-beast II to it's first real test a few days ago. I had the cruise set on 70 mph. Feet were on the highway pegs, it was a cold sunny day on a flat, open highway with no traffic in sight.

I saw a pick up rolling up to the highway on my right. He was eastbound, I was southbound. He came to a full stop when I was about 50 yards from him. I actually saw him looking both ways, didn't worry about it at all. When I was within a few yards of him, he proceeded to pull out in front of me with the intent to turn north. I didn't even have time to move my foot from the highway peg to the brake. I blasted him with my horn and swerved very hard to the left lane.

He slammed on his brakes when I blasted him. His front bumper was even with the center line of the highway when he stopped. I passed within a foot or two of his bumper. I was too busy trying to maintain control to try to get a look on his face, but I am sure it scared him by the way he applied his brakes. I will never know if he would've heard the stock horn and had the same reaction, but I am glad it turned out the way it did. I give the extra volume of the horn alot of credit for how that story ended.

Dennis

Old 04-05-2009, 05:07 PM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put in a new Stebel, didn't work out for me to cut the old one and place under the cowbell. But today lady trys to merge into my lane with me in it, gave her the blast and looked at her face I shook my head at her, she slowed down and backed way off, she might have been try to adjust her pants or dress now that some poop was in them. Gotta love load horns.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

A whole lot of good info. I hope everyone got as much out of this thread as I did. Thanks again to all. That saving lives is GOOD stuff! As soon as I get back from Dallas, this is my next addition. I learned alot more about this than I ever imagined I would when I asked the original question. That's what this Forum is all about.....

Quick Reply: Air Horn, Feedback Requested