Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Horn, Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 05:45 PM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

have had 2 hd horns , one one my 08 and one on 09. no problems at all. have original mini beast on 07 night train and it was good also except ugly square box. new mini beast looks good but haven't heard any info yet. either one should be ok. was going to try to use howards horns but too fugly for me....ride safe

Old 03-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Bilboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a "Howard's Horn" several years ago whata POS!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:07 PM
fairplay
Road Master

save your cash. look gay sound gay. If you want to be heard, pull the clutch and crack the whip a couple times.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I'd really like to hear more from Metalarts horn owners before I buy...they look great but are relatively new on the market.

The Howard's are good looking horns but I really would like to completely get rid of the cowbell unit and have just horns attached. I'm pretty fond of my shift linkage (see below) and I don't like the idea of dropping the housing unit down any lower. Any suggestions on this install? The best of all world's would be to move the power unit someplace else.

Attached Thumbnails Air Horn, Feedback Requested-img_0777.jpg  
Old 03-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Lowridin packer
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by elPrez
Here's the Mini Beast II:
elPrez- looks fantastic - so how loud is it, what does it cost, and where do I order one?

Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Whiskers
I'd really like to hear more from Metalarts horn owners before I buy...they look great but are relatively new on the market.

The Howard's are good looking horns but I really would like to completely get rid of the cowbell unit and have just horns attached. I'm pretty fond of my shift linkage (see below) and I don't like the idea of dropping the housing unit down any lower. Any suggestions on this install? The best of all world's would be to move the power unit someplace else.
I'm not sure how much help I'd be, but seems to me, from significant research on this forum, they've been around a couple years or more. Seems like they've come out w/ new designs this past year.

I think some of the earlier model metalarts trumpets had problems. I spoke to someone in another air horn thread about his, it took him several months to get them to replace his trumpets after one broke, but he also admitted that he thinks he bought the 'longer' trumpets (there's a short and a long trumpet). Metalarts recommends people w/ the rubber mounted motors like my 03 RKC, and whatever this guy was rockin, have too much vibration for the long trumpets, and we should buy the short trumpets.

Whether this recommendation was always in place, or if it came about because some people reported problems, I don't know, but I do know that's what they now recommend.

The older style required you to take apart the factory horn bracket w/ the chrome end piece and reuse it on the horn and mount that comes from metal arts. For whatever reason, possibly design improvements and reducing user error on installs, they now come w/ a solid steel bracket that bolts right onto the old hole, so it's pretty plug and play.

I've only had mine a short time, so I can't speak to how well it will hold up, but I was cautious not to use the trumpets as handles or leverage points during the install, the housing seems pretty heavy duty, but not so heavy that I'm concerned about the weight on the mounting point.

I don't have pics of it yet, coz I was either riding what few warm days I had, or was in the middle of putting other stuff on the bike. I have a beefier chrome shift linkage compared to stock, and have no problem w/ clearance, but I see your little lady friend there, I guess you'd have to measure it ahead of time somehow to determine if it will fit.

If it will help, I can measure the clearance point to point from the bottom of my horn to where my shift linkage is, if you know how far yours sticks up above stock, maybe it'd be a clue? But make sure you go w/ the short trumpets if you have the rubber mounted bike, per their recommendations.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:07 AM
tugdrivinj
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Whiskers

the ones from e glide goodies are trucker looking horns that mount right where the old one goes they even come with little sheilds, the power can be moved up under the bike and it's a fairly easy install my brother got a set on his ultra they look pretty good and are loud as f^@(

Old 03-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Karz...thanks for the comments. I'll take a look and measure the linkage.

Tug...pictures would sure be appreciated.

Ride safe...nice weekend, eh?

Old 03-22-2009, 03:25 PM
hawg08
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I like air horns,tried one for awhile,got tired of messing with it,went back to stock,I believe it was a Rivco.
On my last bike I had Rivcos and had to mess with them too. We back to stock and never looked back.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:08 PM
calrickster
Advanced

I'm real happy with the Rivco Air Horn. It was a real quick, simple install and is loud as shix! (In fact it paid for itself today! I was almost worried about the older guy in the car havin' a heart attack today as it definitely got his attention & he stopped immediately!) The one time, only problem I have had, was after layin' on it during a Labor Day Parade last fall, I blew the fuse. Replaced it & learned not to waste it wavin' to kids. (I like the look, myself.)
Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Air Horn, Feedback Requested-copy-of-imgp1401.jpg  

Quick Reply: Air Horn, Feedback Requested