Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Horn, Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 06:59 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will (someday) have full-blown (no pun, but actually, no -- that's clever) air horns -- tank, compressor, solenoid valve and all. I've seen one guy mount the rig in a saddlebag -- that's not the problem. Where to put REAL air horns is the challenge. They need to be long to get the necessary deep (that is, NOT meep-meep Roadrunner) sound and there's only so much room on a bike.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:03 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cadman311
On amazon:

Chrome Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn - Loud
Other products by Stebel

List Price: $47.95
Price: $41.95
+1 on the Stebel Horn. Very loud and quality made.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tugdrvin, thanks for the info, that's the one that I will be looking at.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,164 Likes on 3,675 Posts

You can buy one from Harbor freight i think it's a WOLO or Strebel for about $50.00,, i paid $65.00 for mine about 2 years ago and it gets the attention..

Old 03-17-2009, 07:36 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 523 Likes on 353 Posts

Here's the Mini Beast II:

Attached Thumbnails Air Horn, Feedback Requested-100_2140.jpg  
Old 03-17-2009, 10:25 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyWood
I tried two different brands when I had the Heritage. They were loud as hell, but the only people that heard them were me and the folks behind me. I was 30' behind a buddy and he could not hear me on his bike.

The last one was a Howards Horn, its setting in a box in the garage.
Kinda sorta like LOUD exhaust I bet?

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
You can buy one from Harbor freight i think it's a WOLO or Strebel for about $50.00,, i paid $65.00 for mine about 2 years ago and it gets the attention..
HF has the Black WOLO BAD BOY on sale now for $34.99 plus 15% off (29.74) in their recent add.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:08 AM
mcrider1
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

If you do get a Stebel, don't use the POS relay that comes with it. I bought the single horn relay kit to install mine.
Here it is: http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Pr...horn_kits.html

Old 03-18-2009, 10:51 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info on the relay kit. I checked it out, and I'll probably use that exact model if I go with the Stebel...Good info

Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themensh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyWood View Post
I tried two different brands when I had the Heritage. They were loud as hell, but the only people that heard them were me and the folks behind me. I was 30' behind a buddy and he could not hear me on his bike.

The last one was a Howards Horn, its setting in a box in the garage.
------------------------------------------------

Kinda sorta like LOUD exhaust I bet?
I wonder if the buddy was on a bike, maybe he had engine noise, helmet blockage, or wind noise, or something else preventing him hearing something from behind him. It's not unrealistic to think that there may be times where you are blowing your horn to alert someone right next to you, someone facing you, or off on a side street at and angle to you, they might be sitting still even, about to pull out, or riding in the lane next to you veering too far in your direction.

IMO, the louder the horn, the better chance you have of getting someone's attention. Nothing is full proof, a biker up ahead, a well insulated car, someone w/ 100+db boom stereo system, someone hard of hearing, are all examples of when any horn may not work.

But if we use those examples as the litmus test for whether a horn works or not, we might as well not have a horn on the bike at all. However, the reality is, horns can play a role in helping you either avoid an accident, express your concern over someone's actions, alert someone in time before you have to make an evasive maneuver, or let a hot lady know she is appreciated So I say the louder the better!

As for loud pipes, just like the horns, it's just another layer in the potential to be noticed. I don't care what anyone puts on their bikes, I choose not to have drag pipes, but I do like pipes louder than stock, and I think going down the slab you have a little more peripheral awareness from the drivers around you, especially while passing etc.

As much as I look for bikes, I can attest tot he fact that I've heard some before I saw exactly where he was, especially on the hwy as said, so I can only assume others may notice it too. Maybe not everyone, but I still see an advantage.

/soapbox

Quick Reply: Air Horn, Feedback Requested