Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Horn, Feedback Requested

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 02:57 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On amazon:

Chrome Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn - Loud
Other products by Stebel

List Price: $47.95
Price: $41.95

Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks to all for the quick and knowledgeable responses. They are very much appreciated. I appreciated the video comparison, and the links provided. The shopping continues. Again, thanks to all...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:16 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the Howard's Horn, sounds like a Mack truck. Scares the cr*p outa cagers.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:25 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The H-D and mini beast are the most inconspicuas, the rivco thing is a piece of crap and looks rediculous.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Gearhead1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD air horn

I wouldn't recomend the HD unit.

After 2 months the rubber mount got weak and tore as I was washing the bike. I took it back and stealer basically they said tough ****, here is a replacement mount for 30 dollars. I ended up threading a screw through the rip in the rubber and remounted the unit. It shook so bad the OL would ask me whats making all the noise at a stop lights. I then had to attach a spring from the horn flange to the mount to stop it from shaking so bad. Still have it on the bike only because its louder than the stock one, and I own it.

It isn't that loud unless you are right up on whoever you are trying to get their attention. Sounded loud in the shop when they demonstrated it but on the road their has to be better units for the money

Old 03-17-2009, 03:32 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks again. What I'm finding out here is that the Chrome Stebel Nautilus Compact Motorcycle Air Horn is actually the same as the Mini-Beast, but the mini-beast has this attractive chrome cover and easy mounting system. Can this be true? Geez, there's almost $100 difference in the two. The Mini-Beast II that is just coming out looks very nice and sleek, but puts out less db at 129 vs 139 on the Stebel Nautilus. Might have something to do with the fancy cover perhaps blocking some db from escaping. Any further thoughts out there that can confirm this info? Oh, and I've kind of ruled out the dual long horn models. Although I hear great things about their performance, I just can't get past the look. It's a personal thing, and I know lots of guys really like em. Just not for me. Thanks

Old 03-17-2009, 03:55 PM
AndrewMichaelZ
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a BJ Specialties horn that I bought used on the forum. It definitely gets me noticed.

I think it comes down to an aesthetics thing. I personally like the double trumpet look better than the boxes versions like the beast.

Install is super easy on all of them.

my $.02

Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the BADBOY 519 in chrome and you can buy them on e-bay for $45-49. Yu do have to run a fused wire fr. you battery even tho the add says plug in but when you get it the instructions says to on MC's. It's loud.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

FWIW, Custom Dynamics sells the MetalArts trumpets about as inexpensive as I could find, thought it would look good on my retro looking 100 yr 03 RKC, and it does, and it's as loud as any of the air horns: http://www.customdynamics.com/metal_arts_air_horns.htm

Mine was $233 w/ free shipping, I think that's about $30-$40 cheaper than other places. I liked the retro look for my particular bike and the amount of chrome on it, and it was plug and play.

I post that in answer to your question about what I did, but since you state you don't like the trumpets, and are debating whether to spend the extra $100ish on the mini beast, here are some other options.

If you're in that $150-$200 range, then you'll see a number of other styles on that same link above that are not trumpets, some are skull or flame, some have leds inside the casing, some are like the harley cow bell only bigger, an alternative to the mini beast but same concept.

In the least expensive category, I'd second some recommendations on the wolo bad boy, they make a chrome one you can slap on pretty easy, but the fine print on the package, as noted by gmc above, does say you need to install the relay, even though a lot of the advertising says it's plug and play.

If you can't find it on ebay, another source is harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97099 right now it's on sale for $49, while it's sometimes priced another $10-$20 higher, they're all over the place when it comes to pricing.

For me, since I liked the idea of plug and play and the trumpets, I wanted to get the nicest looking trumpets I could find. If I didn't buy those, then I'd probably buy the smallest, least expensive, most simple design possible, in chrome, and to me, that was the wolo bad boy. A little extra wiring, but I didn't want to deal w/ putting some components one place, and others somewhere else like some options, and I didn't want to cram it into a particular horn cover, etc., so the chrome wolo seemed like the best other alternative to me.

If you want a custom horn cover, of a traditional size, then get one of the black ones cheaper, cut it up and cram it in there.

Good luck. Also, could use your help on my fog light thread you posted in the other day if you get a chance...

Old 03-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Arfur
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have the Howard's - VERY LOUD!

They were a bit tricky to fit as for some reason the bracket didn't initially fit right - but it is mild steel so easy to cut to fit. The compressor fits neatly behind the stock horn cowbell cover and they give you some chrome covers for the end of the trumpets to keep out the roads**t and bugs.

Adds more chrome to the left side of the bike - more to polish but looks great in the sunshine!

Attached Thumbnails Air Horn, Feedback Requested-simplon-pass-sept-08.jpg  

Quick Reply: Air Horn, Feedback Requested