Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me get the right handgrip off of an 08 Classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Lone Wolf In Canada
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me get the right handgrip off of an 08 Classic

Can anyone help. I've checked the forum and only 07 earlier info on removal of handgrips are given.
I have an 08 EG Classic with the new internal wiring to the throttle. I already have the old left grip off and replaced with my Kuryakin ISO grip.
I was told by an HD Tech to remove the (right grip) two screws that hold the top on- one at top and one at right side with my T27 bit, lift the plastic top slightly, then slide the old grip off and replace with the new grip- they have knurled type slots in bottom of grip that sync with the handlebar... he said these are even easier than the old 2 -cable type. Well I wedged something into the brake lever, got the 2 screws out, lifted the black plastic top of the right side, but I can't slide the old grip off because the lip on the grip that keeps the handgrip inside the housing just won't clear the bottom of the housing. It only needs to have the bottom housing come down about 1/8" inch but I can move it slightly but not enough to lower it out of the way to let me slip the grip off. I don't want to break it.
Anyone have an easy way to do this? It seems so simple. The tech never told me to loosen the two main screws for the entire control from the bars, he just said remove the top housing screws.
Of course I tried to call him and the HD service girl said they were too busy to come to a phone now during the spring season but she would try and ask a tech and get back to me.
I just can't move the bottom part of the housing low enough to allow the lip to pass. It moves but not enough.
Frustrated.
Thanks.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:31 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The top and bottom should pull apart well enought to pull the grip off. Make sure you have all the screws removed.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Cut me Mick, cut me"

Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Piece of cake even easier than the 07's

Old 03-17-2009, 01:33 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I am thinking of changing mine also. I understood just like the dealer told you. I'll be watching the thread to see what the resolution is.

Old 03-17-2009, 03:10 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Look at post #6 of this thread. Might help.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ing-bikes.html

Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced

stick a shim in the lever to hold open and loosen the bar mount . done

Old 03-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If all the screws are removed, this job takes all of 3 minutes...if you are really SLOW... The housing will open up enough as long as you remove the screws.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
mlhampton13
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Lone Wolf In Canada
Can anyone help. I've checked the forum and only 07 earlier info on removal of handgrips are given.
I have an 08 EG Classic with the new internal wiring to the throttle. I already have the old left grip off and replaced with my Kuryakin ISO grip.
I was told by an HD Tech to remove the (right grip) two screws that hold the top on- one at top and one at right side with my T27 bit, lift the plastic top slightly, then slide the old grip off and replace with the new grip- they have knurled type slots in bottom of grip that sync with the handlebar... he said these are even easier than the old 2 -cable type. Well I wedged something into the brake lever, got the 2 screws out, lifted the black plastic top of the right side, but I can't slide the old grip off because the lip on the grip that keeps the handgrip inside the housing just won't clear the bottom of the housing. It only needs to have the bottom housing come down about 1/8" inch but I can move it slightly but not enough to lower it out of the way to let me slip the grip off. I don't want to break it.
Anyone have an easy way to do this? It seems so simple. The tech never told me to loosen the two main screws for the entire control from the bars, he just said remove the top housing screws.
Of course I tried to call him and the HD service girl said they were too busy to come to a phone now during the spring season but she would try and ask a tech and get back to me.
I just can't move the bottom part of the housing low enough to allow the lip to pass. It moves but not enough.
Frustrated.
Thanks.

I did this on my 09 Ultra. The video at Kuryaken made it look really easy by removing the two screws you did. It would not give clearance to get the grip off. I had to loosen the two screws holding the master cyinder. This gave the clearance I needed. If you have service manual, see section 7-40, Handlebar Switch Assemblies, page 7-105.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Rubbit
Road Captain

Alright, here is how it has to be done. Once you remove the two screws that actually hold the the grip on, then loosen the two screws that hold the master cylinder and mirror housing in place until they are about to come out. At this point you pry the housing that holds the grip in place until you can slide it off. Its a little unnerving at first bbut it will come off. once you get it off youll realize how simple the whole thing is, then just slide the new grip on making sure it slides into the housing with out to much force. then check the rotation. if it freely rotates, then tighten back to specs.

Quick Reply: Help me get the right handgrip off of an 08 Classic