Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your bike in gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:19 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
Get in the habit of pulling in the clutch before starting.
Great advice for an older bike but not necessary with the newer models. I find it easier to just make sure the green "N" is lit before starting, but that's just the way I do it. To each his own.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:09 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

heck i look for the green "N" when i park my bike every time, so there is no chance that i'll get to test it.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tda69
Ever had an embarassing moment where you accidently hit the starter before verifying your bike is in neutral? Yeah......me neither! Although I would say that if the MoCo had a system that only allowed the bike to start in neutral, it would be a good safety feature. I will confess, I know someone...lets just call him Tod, who did attempt to start my...er Tod's bike once (on my '03 Ultra) with the bike on the sidestand...thinking it was in neutral. WRONG! Boy was I surprised when the bike lurched forward. Thanks God it didn't fall off the Jiffy Stand. I never.....I mean Tod never made the same mistake again.
Nope...Because I always pull in the clutch lever before starting...You just never know!

Old 05-15-2010, 06:48 AM
racerdj
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haven't done it yet and hope never to do it.

Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Park my bikes in gear, including fueling. Have a Buell S1W, wouldn't turn over after fueling in middle of nowhere. Shift to neutral, turned right over. Later, same situation with big twin and the bike lurched forward. Of course my passenger thought I was a fool, and I was......

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 05-15-2010 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:15 PM
RandyDowdy
Outstanding HDF Member

I have done it once or twice, but no damage. Just a jerk and a lurch forward a few inches.

I do know that just because the neutral light is on doesn't mean it is in neutral. I have seen false neutrals on several different bikes. I don't like all the safety features that the rice burners have though. The more electrical sensors, the greater the chance for failure down the line.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:23 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 Road King won't start in gear without the clutch all the way in. The starter button does nothing until the clutch is fully depressed.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:25 PM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
Nope...Because I always pull in the clutch lever before starting...You just never know!
+1

Squeeze both levers before you hit the starter button and you never have to worry about being surprised by what happens.

Matt

Old 05-15-2010, 01:09 PM
tullygillen
Intermediate

I put the bike in neutral when i stop the bike, and before i start it i pull in the clutch.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM
J-FRAME
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So when I picked up my then brand new 2000 FLHT from the dealer I,m riding along and it hits me I have no insurance so I go by my State Farm dealer to sign up. He wants to see my new bike, so I start it for him on the stand standing beside it (WRONG)in gear. needless to say he was a little worried about my motorcycle skills.

Quick Reply: Starting your bike in gear!!