Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your bike in gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
hogginit
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe that the feature is a mandated thing, just like as is done on cars and trucks.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:40 PM
ky_ace
Road Master

My honda wouldn't start in gear w/out the clutch pulled in and it would die if you put it in gear w/ the kickstand down... the kickstand became convenient sometimes, and the starter wasn't too bad. I've only bumped the starter once on the Harley w/ it in gear and it was on the stand.. somebody wanted to hear it run and i forgot i'd shut it down in gear.. she tried to take off on me.. no big deal luckily. Now I don't start it unless my butt is in the saddle..

BM

Old 03-17-2009, 10:46 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for replying.....some of your responses were hysterical! I think I crapped my pants when it happened to me.

Old 03-18-2009, 09:29 AM
cfmii11
Road Master

Never did that but I did/do know a guy who forgot to put down the jiffy stand once.
Man, that bike was/looked like it was heavy.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Volfan615
I always pull the clutch in regardless...
There ya go. Simple solution to a stupid problem.

I never liked the thought of my bike being able to roll, so I always park in gear. Period. It's like a parking brake to me, and it is a routine. You embed as a habit, and once embedded, you will pull in the clutch everytime.

And the bonus, no toe fumbling to find neutral.

Problem solved. No computer required.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:39 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I usually start my bike in neutral when its been sitting in the garage overnight as the oil is cold and it jumps a little bit. But after riding for a while and parked somewhere I will start it in gear with clutch pulled doesn't jump after its warmed up

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

I did it once! I just gassed up and was sitting on it w/ the bars to the left. It lurched forward and I let off. I looked at the guy next to me and said, "whew, I'm glad that wasn't the whole eight seconds ride". lol

Old 01-31-2010, 02:10 PM
sttng47
Intermediate

Haven’t done that, as I am in the habit of starting the bike with the clutch engaged; however, now mind you I did this on purpose because I thought it would look and sound cool, while daydreaming and shifting with the heel toe shifter in an attempt to shift to a higher gear, I shifted down with the toe instead of up with the heel; well I think you know the rest.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:51 PM
motorcyclelockman
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sholder
Did it once, and it got my attention in a hurry! I've been told the '09s won't start in gear without the clutch pulled. I haven't tested the theory, and don't plan to do so intentionally.

My 07 would not start in gear without the clutch pulled.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:04 PM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

I'm sure I've done it, but don't remember exactly. Nowadays I always start my bikes with the clutch in, even when in neutral. False neutrals happen all the time, so I always start with the clutch in then let out slowly.

My Suzuki DRZ400SM had the interlock switch so it wouldn't start unless in neutral or clutch in, and won't run in gear with kickstand down. Well, that broke a few weeks after I got the bike and it wouldn't start. I was able to bump start it, though. The dealer tried to get out of it by trying to say I jumped it with a car, and I said BS - I didn't, and that wouldn't blow the relay.

Be thankful you don't have a Ducati 1098 - go to those forums and see what that starter does That bike has a servo controlled starter. So, all you do is tap the button and it turns over until it starts or it times out (10 seconds or so). It is not supposed to start unless in neutral or the clutch is in. Well, plenty of guys have tapped that starter button while the green N light was falsely lit, and you can't just take your thumb of the button, because it keeps going!

Quick Reply: Starting your bike in gear!!