Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your bike in gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Anezangl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there done that! Riding w/ about twenty others to a meeting one night, we all parked in a friends driveway in no particular order. Meeting was over about midnight, it was December, was cold, so I thought I would go ahead and fire the ultra and let her warm up a bit. I was not on the scooter, I was standing to the left, switch on, neutral light was lit, hit the starter and it got real interesting real quick! There were several bikes in front of mine and I have no idea how I managed to make it to the street with out any damage to any of these bikes because I believe my eyes were closed! All ended well, the guys still clear a path when I ignite the twins now days, they say in fun but I know better! LOL..........

Old 03-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Rob2002
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The day I brought my 06 EGC home, my neighbor (Wing rider) started playing with the controlls and hit the starter switch. It jumped a few feet and did not fire. (Thanks God!) Nothing happened but the look on his face was priceless. I always put it in neutral and pull the clutch. No exceptions.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:16 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmything
That's correct. They won't start if they're in gear on the 09's.

or the 08's and I am 99% sure on the 07s as well, at least with UC.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM
megawayne
Cruiser

my 07 will not start in gear, the 05 I had would though. Somewhere between 07 and 05 they fixed it. I am assuming 07.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:42 PM
WillieC
Road Master
Unhappy been there done that

Seems to happen when there are people around looking at you too

Makes you take a quick look around to see if anyone saw you do it
and it is hard to make it look you you actually wanted to do it.

WillieC

Old 03-17-2009, 02:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by highwayman1224
My 07 SG won't start unless it's in neutral. Kinda sucks sometimes.
it will if you pull the clutch in.

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
You think it would be something that HD would have included in the owners manual. If it was, I didn't see it in my five times reading it.
in my 07 owners manual, page 133, it states:

To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires the clutch be disengaged, clutch lever pulled in against left handgrip, and/or the transmission be shifted to the neutral position

This is a 'feature' that has been on hd since 07 to protect us from ourselves....

Old 03-17-2009, 03:38 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This happens a lot.. mine landed on the bars...

Old 03-17-2009, 03:43 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
it will if you pull the clutch in.

in my 07 owners manual, page 133, it states:

To activate the starting system, the clutch interlock circuitry requires the clutch be disengaged, clutch lever pulled in against left handgrip, and/or the transmission be shifted to the neutral position

This is a 'feature' that has been on hd since 07 to protect us from ourselves....
Guess I read right over it..Going to check my '09 manual right now.....Learn something new everyday here.....

Old 03-17-2009, 04:02 PM
Silverstone
Tourer

Damn right,it happened to me.
Nov 05,just picked up my new 06 FXD35,rode home 22 miles in the pouring rain and washed all the crap off the bike then backed her down my (steep) drive into my garage. Spent ages polishing her up,then thought I'd start her up to hear what she sounded like,I'd had the Stage 1 done and S/E pipes. Both the large,wooden garage doors were shut with the right one bolted top and bottom.
Started her up...FORTUNATELY I was sat on the bike. She shot forward,about two feet and then smashed into the doors which then burst open,the top bolt splintered the door casing,the bottom bolt gouged out the concrete.the bike and me then went about another 10 feet up my drive before I managed to stop her.
No damage to the bike,soon repaired the damage to the doors/door casing but it took about two weeks to stop shaking and cussing myself for being a total,total idiot.
Never done it since though.

Old 03-17-2009, 09:00 PM
hdbc
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was inside Daytona Harley a few years ago, heard a crash, new Ultra in the showroom was on its side. Don't think he bought it, but he was quite embarrassed.

I learned along time ago to pull the clutch in before starting, just a habit now. Had my 09 RG since September, didn't even know there is a protective device.

The things I learn here just by reading......

Quick Reply: Starting your bike in gear!!