Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your bike in gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:02 AM
VT Hog
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
The very, very 1st thing I did before I drove my bike off the lot was to take the Heel shifter off the bike.
Never liked a heal shifter. It is in my way. Been riding bikes since 64

SO true, it also gives you more room on the floor board for foot movement.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Agent777
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by emwolb
mhud, i do notice that younger riders tend to use the emergency kill switch rather than the key switch to turn off their bikes.
Maybe because they read the manual.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:06 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Before I changed out the crappy Harley primary fluid, the bike would jump just slightly without the clutch pull but still in nuetral. This got me into the habit of pulling the clutch in before starting it.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Badfinger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, I wouldn't have a bike that only starts in neutral as I think it would be dangerous to operate. Why would you want to have to shift back into neutral to restart from a stall? Especially if you've just pulled out on a busy street in traffic or on a steep hill. Buy I've also never tried to start any bike without pulling in the clutch because it can still lurch when the oils cold and thick and make you pucker.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:34 PM
mydnytryder
Advanced

Brake, clutch, neutral(optional), ignition, start. This system seems to work flawlessly even with other equipment like cars, trucks, tractors etc.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

I think thats one of the reasons why Harley made the type of side stand they do.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:52 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Badfinger
Personally, I wouldn't have a bike that only starts in neutral as I think it would be dangerous to operate. Why would you want to have to shift back into neutral to restart from a stall? Especially if you've just pulled out on a busy street in traffic or on a steep hill. Buy I've also never tried to start any bike without pulling in the clutch because it can still lurch when the oils cold and thick and make you pucker.
never seen one that had to be in neutral to start , but either neutral OR clutch in would start

Old 04-24-2011, 06:59 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Finding neutral when I stop is pretty much second nature. That being said, when I am forced to park on a slope, I leave my scooter on 1st and start in gear with the clutch in when I leave.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:30 PM
ahpd1992
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Motorcops always leave their bikes in gear. Thats how I was trained 10 yrs ago, n they still preach the same thing. We also pretty much exclusively use the kill switch. The kill switch n the ignition work on the same principle ur not hurting anything by using one over the other. Its also good practice, get stuck on am incline ur not expecting in a parking lot, clutch, bike in gear, kill switch, clutch out, bike stays put. This is just one of many scenarios, but u get the drift. Its all about routine, have the same routine and leaving the bike in gear us no big deak

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 PM
suthrnstyl2003
Stage IV

I recently bought an '07 Street Glide. It had chrome switch housings on it when I bought it. I noticed the security light stays on when I'm riding, and it will only start in neutral. I opened up the switch housing and found that the interlock switch was removed, and apparently bypassed or something. Although I see no signs if it ever being there. It still has the stock black switches. My questions are: is this going to hurt anything by riding it this way, and does anyone know which pins on the left switch harness are for this switch, as I may want to reinstall a new switch in the future? Havin to find neutral to start the bike is kind of a pain. Thanks.

Last edited by suthrnstyl2003; 06-20-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: Added

Quick Reply: Starting your bike in gear!!