Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting your bike in gear!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Count_Zannini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found the problem, neutral switch in the clutch lever not working.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Count_Zannini
6th Gear
Default stalling

I also found out why the bike runs choppy like it wants to stall sometimes. The dam phobe on the key ring for the alarm was not communicating with the alarm turn signal module. It was trying to shut the bike down. I took the bike to the dealer and had them take out the alarm and install a regular turn signal module. It has never stalled again and runs much better.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:01 AM
Count_Zannini
6th Gear

Your right, I bypassed the switch, and all is well again,, thanks man

Old 04-23-2011, 11:10 AM
JWitz
Tourer

Mine has a little green N on it....kinda wait to see that before I hit the start switch....funny post though...would love to see a video or two...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:18 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default BS

Originally Posted by sholder
Did it once, and it got my attention in a hurry! I've been told the '09s won't start in gear without the clutch pulled. I haven't tested the theory, and don't plan to do so intentionally.
Will 09's start in gear when you push the button? Why would you push it without the clutch pulled? Even with it pulled the bike "lurches" forward that little bit. Don't want to test that out!!!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 04-23-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:43 AM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It would be niece if HD put a solenoid on the lever and on the jiffy that if you didn't put up the jiffy or pull in the clutch lever the bike wouldn't crank but if they failed for some reason away you go!
(I guess you better remember to pull in that clutch before you push that button)

Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Friend of mine started his in gear and rear ended his own car and damaged both bike and car. All international models come with kick stand or neutral disabling system but American are reluctant to this kind of advance system,may be some day it will be required here too.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:35 PM
thecort
Road Captain

Did it last year to my Vrod. We were at a bike blessng & the priest asked everyone to go to their bikes, start 'em up & rev them. Well, idiot that i've become, I did it from the right side of the bike. When I started it, it lurched foward & I couldn't stop it (wrong side of bike). It bent my foot peg & broke my shifter. Sux! Thank God one of my buddies lived only a couple of blocks away. We went to his house & made a temp shifter.

It's always in the back of my mind now.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:40 PM
ceye04
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tda69
Ever had an embarassing moment where you accidently hit the starter before verifying your bike is in neutral? Yeah......me neither! Although I would say that if the MoCo had a system that only allowed the bike to start in neutral, it would be a good safety feature. I will confess, I know someone...lets just call him Tod, who did attempt to start my...er Tod's bike once (on my '03 Ultra) with the bike on the sidestand...thinking it was in neutral. WRONG! Boy was I surprised when the bike lurched forward. Thanks God it didn't fall off the Jiffy Stand. I never.....I mean Tod never made the same mistake again.
Did it back in 2005...just 30 minutes after picking up my brand new V-Rod. Was riding back from Gainesville HD, headed to Jacksonville. We stopped for lunch...went to start V-Rod before sitting down...thought I was in neutral so I didn't pull the clutch in. Bike lurched forward and fell on left hand side. Broke my clutch handle. Talk about embarrassed and pissed off...

Old 04-23-2011, 06:25 PM
cballweg
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Means you have either listened to the tales of those who have gone before or you have personal experience. In any event, you have gained wisdom. Always easier to learn from the mistakes of others, but personal experience has real longevity...

Quick Reply: Starting your bike in gear!!